Author Topic: Anyone using OEM heated grips?  (Read 7945 times)

Offline V4roar

• Crosstourer Member
Anyone using OEM heated grips?
on: December 04, 2012, 02:52:00 AM
Wondering how these specific OEM heated grips perform in terms of heat output, anyone using them?

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Re: Anyone using OEM heated grips?
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:32:23 AM
I'm v happy with mine. They are high quality and heat is more than adequate. Just wish they were cheaper!

Offline Manno

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:20:27 AM
Lovely and discreet and they get nice and warm, almost hot.
Varying the heat output is tricky and involves lots of blinking led's.
There is a connector which can fill with water if not fitted well by the dealer.
RD50LC GT185 FZR600R ZZR1100C3 CBR1100XXW XR650R VFR1200X

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 07:17:57 AM
*Originally Posted by Manno [+]
Lovely and discreet and they get nice and warm, almost hot.
Varying the heat output is tricky and involves lots of blinking led's.
There is a connector which can fill with water if not fitted well by the dealer.

Hi V4roar, this thread has details of a potential problem concerning water ingress to the control box beneath the LH side panel https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,1191.0.html it 'might' be prevented by the control box being installed with the harness pointing DOWN but dealers don't like being told these things!!!  Mine was changed under warranty without any fuss but they still fitted it wires pointing UP :157:

The heat output is great and as already reported they are very neat looking on the bike

Ian

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:48:13 AM
As you'll know if you've read the link Ian posted, when they work, they're great.....
But the warranty claim I had to make turned into a right palava:  https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,1312.0.html
IanM

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:58:22 AM
This is the first bike I have had with heated grips so can’t claim to be an expert on the subject.  When I remember to use them they function better than expected. I now need to get a heated seat to go with my vest and then I can claim to be a real Wuss.

I shall be removing the panels to fit a Nautilus Air Horn later in the week so will carry out Ian’s mod at the same time.
Feet up

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 03:23:34 PM
I have the OEM heated grips too and very happy with them. Main thing i think is they are pretty "small" fit, you almost don't "note" them as heated grips. High quality too, true the switch is a bit small but easy to operate once you got the "trick" out (you got to push on the lower side as switch is "hinged" on top).

@ feetup: very interested in your fitting the Nautilus Air Horn, keep us informed on how it goes  :018:
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 07:38:47 PM
Very happy with the heat output from the OEM grips but as others have mentioned they seem to be a weak point

can only compare them to the OEM grips I had on my previous BMW GS and I would say they feel warmer