Author Topic: Alternative hard panniers using the crosstourer rails?  (Read 11567 times)

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
Alternative hard panniers using the crosstourer rails?
on: November 17, 2012, 04:03:13 PM
Was thinking about a winter project using non honda hard second hand panniers and fabricating brackets to fit onto the honda rails. Was wondering if anyone has done this yet.

Also has anyone got close up pictures of the honda pannier brackets. Was going to go to the dealers today for a look but a bit to far and cold for a visit

Cheers Peter

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Alternative hard panniers using the crosstourer rails?
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 04:29:45 PM
whoops ive put this thread in the wrong place :430:

mr moderator can you move it to accessories please

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 06:49:19 AM
Hello Peter, the RH Honda pannier is shaped around the exhaust can which keeps the overall width and 'height' of the mounted boxes down, i will try and post some pics for you later (its early!!!)

I stayed with the Honda luggage as i won't be doing much 'adventuring' on it and also only need to carry stuff for 1 x person.

I think of my bike as more of a super tourer  :305:

Ian

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:22:32 AM
Hi Ian

I could have got a good deal for the panniers when I bought the bike but chose not to  :157: , however I only do 1 biggish trip a year, I was going to use soft luggage as I always do, however I am quite interested in possibly using Alpos aluminium panniers which would cost 180 uk pounds for the 31 litre version, however they dont have any mountings.

I have a shortened leo vince carbon can, so there would be no clearance issues with panniers

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:03:36 PM
Just washing the CT after a day out in the Hawes region and remembered your pics :192:

I don't honestly think they will be any use whatsoever for making home-made brackets from as the pics don't explain how the clamping part moves when the key turn enables the clamping/unclamping action :087:

I am having issues with my (not so) smartphone camera storing images sometimes upside down so prepare to be confused!!!

You will see a rubber cap on the extension of each rear footrest hanger, this is where the bottom edge of the pannier locates

Any use?

Ian

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 05:09:21 PM
*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]
Just washing the CT after a day out in the Hawes region

Any use?

Ian

Yep, looks nice and clean  :047:

Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:14:31 PM by Mika

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 06:36:57 PM
Hi Whitegloss
Like Scotsy my intention was to tour solo so didn’t need large panniers and again like Scotsy my CT will never intentionally be ridden off road so they don’t need to be as robust as the Ali units. I also have an issue with the width of the adventure style panniers. 

I have chosen to forfeit the adventure look and modified a Givi Pannier rack and add a pair of Givi E21 Panniers.
 I dismantled the rack and repositioned the mounting brackets to bring panniers in front of the rear indicator’s, this allowed me to greatly reduce the overall width of the CT with the panniers mounted.

The handing hasn’t been compromised and my wife has no difficulty in mounting or dismounting the bike. I have also fitted a top plate from a ST1300 so that I can use the top box from the Pan on the CT

The one problem I do have is my wife thinks the CT is equal to my Pan in comfort so I may still have to fit larger box’s for our continental trips.

Feetup

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:25:30 PM
Ian, your bike is still wet!!!!!! From the ride, or from cleaning it?  btw, how is the seat?

Recent Topics