Author Topic: Cleaning spoked wheels  (Read 5779 times)

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Cleaning spoked wheels
on: November 15, 2012, 03:50:40 PM
This is my first bike with spoked wheels, and it is not my favorite hobby to clean the wheels. Is there an easy way to get all the dirt of without having to spend a whole day on it.
 :020:

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Cleaning spoked wheels
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:04:14 PM

Apply on the bike, grab a coffee and let it soak a bit, after 20 mns hose it down, et voila...
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 05:10:56 PM
I use Bilberry Wheel cleaner. Spray it on and then use a Daytona Speedmaster brush.

I have used this method on my car and bike wheels for years and found it to be very effective. MucOff for light washing is pretty good on a more daily basis.

I don't think there is an easy answer to cleaning spoked wheels, just depends how thorough you want to be, personally I take time when cleaning my bike and like to have it as clean as I can.

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:33:36 PM
There really isnt a quick way for sure. I do a Muc Off then hose and soap and sponge and then repeat process ad infinitum  :008:

Its worth it though as I much prefer spokes on an enduro type bike

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 03:09:18 PM
If your finances can run to it then try Sdoc 100 (Gel)  Now I have retired I have been trying cheaper products and have to accept you get what you pay for.
 However, I attended the Dirt Bike Show a couple of weeks ago and was given a free 1 Litre sample of new to the market cleaner in a spray applicator. The guy on the stand told me he had been in the chemicals business for over thirty years designing commercial cleaners for vans and trucks but this is his first involvement with bikes
His company sponsors a young moto cross rider and was asked to develop something for removing dirt and clay from their bikes that would not attack aluminium and plastic. It’s not designed for removing grease or oil and for me that’s a positive as it leaves the grease where I put it.
I used it on my ST1300 a couple of times and have been impressed with the finish on the Pan after both applications. I have yet to try on the CT or the off road bikes but I’m confident I will get the same results as the Pan.
I’m not involved with this company in any way but thought you may be interested in a new alternative that I feel is worthy of my support.
Check out   www.pro-greenmx.co.uk or call 00 44 (0)2477 679947

I ordered 5 litres yesterday with a 25% discount and free postage, it arrived first thing this morning along with 2 free applicators.

Feet up
PS I hate wire wheels on a road bike.

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:58:45 AM
*Originally Posted by Feet up [+]
If your finances can run to it then try Sdoc 100 (Gel)  Now I have retired I have been trying cheaper products and have to accept you get what you pay for.
 However, I attended the Dirt Bike Show a couple of weeks ago and was given a free 1 Litre sample of new to the market cleaner in a spray applicator. The guy on the stand told me he had been in the chemicals business for over thirty years designing commercial cleaners for vans and trucks but this is his first involvement with bikes
His company sponsors a young moto cross rider and was asked to develop something for removing dirt and clay from their bikes that would not attack aluminium and plastic. It’s not designed for removing grease or oil and for me that’s a positive as it leaves the grease where I put it.
I used it on my ST1300 a couple of times and have been impressed with the finish on the Pan after both applications. I have yet to try on the CT or the off road bikes but I’m confident I will get the same results as the Pan.
I’m not involved with this company in any way but thought you may be interested in a new alternative that I feel is worthy of my support.
Check out   www.pro-greenmx.co.uk or call 00 44 (0)2477 679947

I ordered 5 litres yesterday with a 25% discount and free postage, it arrived first thing this morning along with 2 free applicators.

Feet up
PS I hate wire wheels on a road bike.

Looks a decent product. Is there a discount code for forum members?

ta

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 09:41:24 PM
The discount code is MXS3P but the validation expired on the 15th. Give them a call I’m sure they will still honour their offer as he (I think he was called Steve) appeared keen to get his product out into the general biking public and not just sell to dirt bikers.
Feet up

Offline qosdev

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: CT 2012 Model
  • City / Town: Newport Gwent
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 09:29:38 PM
There are loads of cleaning liquids out there. But the best thing is the bog brush. the round head gets into the nooks and crannies.  :002:
1 out of 10 people understand binary

arab-exile