Author Topic: Sat nav and mount advice needed please  (Read 22472 times)

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Sat nav and mount advice needed please
on: October 27, 2012, 09:51:03 PM
Evening folks,

as well as some Crosstourer info i'm also in need of some sat nav info. I'm planning to ask santa for a new sat nav this xmas and want one that mounts above the dash so its more in my eyline rather than down near the top yolk where my current sat nav sits. The trouble is if the sat nav is not mounted securely above the dash it is more susceptible to vibration. Can any Crosstourer owners who have any experience of mounting their sat nav above the dash recommend a nice solid mount. The Migsel and Navihalter mounts sound promising but i've not seen any feedback from Crosstourer owners about them. Any sat nav recommendations would be welcome too.

thanks . . . . Terry

Offline aerochair

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT DCT se
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
Re: Sat nav and mount advice needed please
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 11:31:03 PM
The RAM mount is a simple and very effective mount.  No vibration, plenty of adjustment for position, angle of the sun, etc.

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:56:42 PM
Both the MiGSel mount and the Navihalter are excellent. I prefer the Migsel mount because it features 3 ram mount knobs for extra accessories. Nice piece of kit. Perfect position of the Zumo above my gauges, couldn`t be better.
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 06:07:30 AM
I had a good look at both, and indeed they look good, but I think on the Migsel holder your satnav is to high, especially if your not a giant.

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 05:26:01 PM
Thanks for your feedback guys.

Sorry for my ignorance Aerochair but what do you mean by a RAM mount for the Crosstourer? Does it mount above the dash because i hate the ones that mount on the handlebars. The ability to angle the screen to avoid glare is usefull though.

The Migsel does seem pretty high, thats why i needed a bit of feedback from anyone that has used it.

Which model of Zumo do you use Allroadtoad.

cheers . . . Terry

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 10:48:24 PM
It`s certainly not too high, it`s exactly right. You want the satnav above the gauges, if it would be lower you wouldn`t see your rpm. Also you can still see the road ahead whilst looking on the satnav which I find very important and so should all of you  :016:

I use the zumo550.

Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:39:20 PM by Allroadtoad
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 11:20:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Allroadtoad [+]
It`s certainly not too high, it`s exactly right. You want the satnav above the gauges, if it would be lower you wouldn`t see your rpm. Also you can still see the road ahead whilst looking on the satnav which I find very important and so should all of you  :016:

I totally agree, i even have my zumo mounted in the van just below my normal line of sight, i have tried out the handlebar mount while waiting for the Migsel one to arrive and IMHO it is dangerous!!!

I have just fitted the Migsel one this weekend

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 07:30:25 PM
Thats for the photos and info guys. The Migsel sounds exactly what i'm looking for  :028:

cheers . . . Terry