Before the wash

Views: 265
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob
Bacon Roll

Views: 834
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Someone else likes it  (Read 5896 times)

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Re: Someone else likes it
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »
Just to add the other two VD reviews from Mark Forsyth (I found the DCT one thought provoking enough to consider the indignity of an auto! :001: ):

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-honda-crosstourer-review/20122.html

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-honda-crosstourer-dct/20130.html

Offline nsxer

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Black CT
  • City / Town: Craigavon
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
It is still very much down to your OWN decision at the end of the day; do you want an auto box on your motorbike?!

I was made to ride the CT with a DCT box by my local dealer on my 1st test ride of the bike. IT is a really really good system but personally I felt it took something away from the riding experience. JUST MY OPINION  :430: I had to go to another dealer to try the manual before making final decision to purchase

Everyone has their own reasons for purchasing the DCT, its not for everyone hence it being an option. Its great that the system get the press it deserves.

Perhaps the additional option of adding the foot changer  mechanism could have changed my decision about DCT but that was heaping on additional costs and it was just not worth it.

For me its a manual tranny on a bike for the forseeable call me old fashioned or not getting with the times. But when it comes to car driving and bike riding technology advances are NOT the be all and end all.

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by nsxer [+]
It is still very much down to your OWN decision at the end of the day; do you want an auto box on your motorbike?!

You haven't understood what the DCT system is, it's not an 'auto box'. It's a double clutch system now fitted to nearly all top of the range sports & supercars. If you buy a new Porsche 911 turbo, only the DCT box is available (not an auto). That says a lot about how driving has progressed and is the future for all road vehicles (cars proving that for some years already) and bikes just joining the technology. In 5 years expect to see all bike manufacturers offering the DCT as an option and then as a mandatory fitting.

I remember the days when the 1st ABS systems were slated and yet now many bikes come with ABS as a non-optional standard feature, traction control also now, slipper clutches etc.

Move on with the times otherwise we would still be using drum brakes operated by cables and twin rear shocks.

Offline nsxer

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Black CT
  • City / Town: Craigavon
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 07:31:58 PM »
I know what it is, I used the 'auto' term very loosely. But I have ridden the DCT system and she does change gears automatically does she not?!  :435:

You have your opinion on advancing technology I have mine. Some of it is great others remove more from the essence of pure driving.

Sure who cares what a Porsche has ... They need something to help em stay on the road!

The DCT and manual debate will run and run and every rider has their own opinion on what they want from their bike.

I still think DCT is a great system and a great tech achievement fitting it on a bike

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:35:21 PM by nsxer »

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 08:45:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by nsxer [+]
I know what it is, I used the 'auto' term very loosely. But I have ridden the DCT system and she does change gears automatically does she not?!  :435:

You have your opinion on advancing technology I have mine. Some of it is great others remove more from the essence of pure driving.

Sure who cares what a Porsche has ... They need something to help em stay on the road!

The DCT and manual debate will run and run and every rider has their own opinion on what they want from their bike.

I still think DCT is a great system and a great tech achievement fitting it on a bike

:0461: 

When I am showing or telling others about mine, then after saying its the DCT version, I often say that its a "big clever auto box" or a fast as f##k 1237cc " twist and go". Then if they want to know more, then I give them the full DCT sell .
If I hadn't needed the DCT to ease some tendon grief , then a manual would have had as good a chance of finding a home in my garage as the DCT.

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Someone else likes it
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 09:13:01 PM »
For those who are unsure the DCT ride modes are as follows.
Normal = D for drive where rider can manually override anytime during trip.
S = Sport for getting a move on and again rider can manually override at any time.
M = Manual where like with a car all 6 gears are selected with a +- paddle system.
The gearbox is standard 6 speed as with a normal Crosstourer but has 2 x auto clutches that  preselect gears,  1 for 2,4&6 and 1 for 1,3&5 gears = Seemless gear shifting so no unsettling of bike either up or down the box and there is no off throttle required for when going up or down the gearbox for strong blistering performance if need be or just bimble along at slow steady pace, choice is yours. More options, more choice and so more flexibility that a traditional manual. If you've never had it you won't miss it, if you've had it you'll probably want another.

Like has been said before, it will be very much a common place option in a few years time. You just pay your money and make your choice, simples ;-)

Offline slomogadgie

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 11:37:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by cozmo1589 [+]
Like has been said before, it will be very much a common place option in a few years time. You just pay your money and make your choice, simples ;-)

As long as it's an option that's ok:)
I have already spoken in depth on another thread about this debate. We (manual) owners don't bang on half much as DTC guys about virtues od manual vs. DTC. We just get on with riding our bike, enjoying them.
To say that DCT is like changing from drum brakes or having TC on a bike is not really compariing apples with apples. Both ABS and TC can be seen as coming under safety aids. In fact I think that riders with high skill levels tend to want to disable these aids and take control of the bike themselves. Now please don's say that you can disable the DTC on a non manual CT....because you don't. It's auto or finger control which is like semi auto as the rider still has to moved their finger to operate it..
Of course DTC has it's supporters and for some it has been a God send...allowing them to ride a bike again after some injury our aliment. Great stuff:)
Other on the other hand say it makes for quicker changes....come one....what for? I really don't buy in to the argument at all. Smoother...yep maybe, but some riders can ride round that as well.
DTC vs. Manual debate!!!!! leave it out and get on with just enjoying your bike in the knowledge that 'your bike' is better and faster than any other CT :)
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

arab-exile