CT2012 8

Views: 366
Posted by: ojo
in: ojo
Finally my CT

Views: 256
Posted by: Jaafa
in: Jaafa

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Winter modifications? Sorting that front end out for me  (Read 4621 times)

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Winter modifications? Sorting that front end out for me
« on: October 13, 2012, 01:17:58 AM »
I know its a bit early to talk about the winter but as a few of us may be putting our steeds away before the salt arrives (ill be using my wee PCX for the duration so still on 2 wheels mind!) I was wondering what you all had planned for those cold nights out in the garage with a brew and a tool kit.

Me? Im happy enough with what Ive added to the bike - fogs,grips,can,rad guard,hugger,panniers,top box,alarm and centre stand so far. Therefore, Ill be concentrating on sorting out that front end which I just cant get comfortable with. Basically mine feels like its got a the forks of a 10yr old rat bike with zero quality ride comfort  :021:

Initially I thought it was just set up way too hard and after taking note of a few other owners settings ive backed it all off and attempted to soften things up but to no real improvement. Ive asked our delaer mechanic to have a spin on it and hes happy that theres nothing wrong at all. I sort of feel disappointed as a 12K bike should have a sumptuous feel to its suspension and not have me scanning the road ahead for minor bumps to avoid.

Maybe im just looking back at my old 1150 GS suspension (which was 9yrs old!) with rose tinted glasses but it sort of disappoints an otherwise splendid bike.

For those wanting me to be specific about the symptoms it feels like the fr tyre has 50psi in it and the fork springs are worn out and the rebound is a total mismatch to the actual fr end geometry i.e when you hit even a mild bump the whole things either jars the bike or rippples back through the whole bike. Oddly enough the rear end is fine and remains fairly anonymous which demonstrates (to me anyway) that its working fine.

Just need to find a solution  :187:

Offline droid

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: Eagle Point, VIC
Re: Winter modifications? Sorting that front end out for me
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 06:26:54 AM »
hey mate, this is a response i got from a suspension guru who has obviously worked on a crosstourer already

good luck with it anyway!

Jon
Your Honda  has a too soft fork spring feel for sports/touring riding, The forks soft compression settings can`t control dive properly & yet have a harsh feel on square edged bumps. The rebound action is also too soft (in sync. with the compression) giving little traction feel and stability especially on corner turn in.

The shock also is harsh on square edged bumps & lacks broad range rebound damping (too much, hi speed, wheel travel, damping) which ruins any chance of a confident compliant feel. The oil will have lost viscosity leading to early fade which lowers the speed which you notice a lack of control.   The std shock has little internal squat control, making the bike run wide on corner exit. The shock spring is again OK for road work  (check sags).

To get the best sport/ ride day  feel we recommend, a fork revalve, shock revalve ,including our dual function squat control valve SCV17, fork springs & shock springs to suit your weight , bike & usage application.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:28:00 AM by droid »
jon

Offline oldhand

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: silver CT
  • City / Town: Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »
Hi GS TVR;

Possibly I'm easily pleased but the front end on my CT feels fine. 

(Last bike was a blackbird with new springs in the front and a rebuild shock - the CT feels very smooth in comparison)

Just wondering, would it be worth taking a test run on a demo bike to compare... if it's much better it could be time to hassle your dealer for some warranty work.   Good luck !

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 01:16:53 PM »
Trev

Might be worthwhile having a look at the Ohlins set up guide and see how you get on

http://www.ohlins.com/Products/OwnersManuals/OM_07241-02.pdf

Offline paperman

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Irvine
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »
Hi GR TRV, I've just taken delivery of my DCT bike, however I did 200mls on a demo bike, and to be fair, I thought the suspension was reasonably good, I came from a sprint.st and fireblade before that.  Pushing on a bit might show up the soft feel, but in this area of Ayrshire, there is not a bit of tarmac without potholes, and it cruises over these with ease without throwing me out the seat or jarring the wrists. Think I might look at tyre choice though
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 07:29:53 PM by paperman »

Offline Manno

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »
Try backing it off to the minimum setting. Time and use will make the forks slide easier. The forks on new bikes need to bed in. I know the GS telelever set up is superb for isolating the road from the bars so part of your problem may 'feedback'.
I spray a bit of PTFE on the sliders before each ride.
RD50LC GT185 FZR600R ZZR1100C3 CBR1100XXW XR650R VFR1200X

Offline droid

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: Eagle Point, VIC
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 12:29:27 AM »
hi manno, what is ptfe? some sort of silica spray? you spray it on the bottom part of the fork where the top slides down over?

i have used your settings and the bike is better for me, cheers!
jon

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:40:33 AM »
Hi guys - thanks for the feedback. Maybe one of the problems is I am gettint too much "feedback" from the road but if its any use i took a demo CBR600 F out the other day and it's front end was a marked improvement on the CT. Felt much more solid and less prone to communicating back through the bars every undualtion on the road.

I'll back everything off and see how it feels.

PLEASE - no more Ohlins links - way too tempting!!!!

arab-exile