P 20150613 185357

Views: 197
Posted by: tomw
in: tomw
The CT comes home

Views: 311
Posted by: PaulB
in: PaulB

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Objective View of Riding Ups and Downsides now Hoopla Passed  (Read 2248 times)

Offline roundincircles

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Multistrada, K16
  • City / Town: Herts
Objective View of Riding Ups and Downsides now Hoopla Passed
« on: October 01, 2012, 05:07:46 PM »
 I would be interested in how owners view the pros and cons of ownership now the honeymoon period has passed.

By way of background I have recently sold a TEx (1100 miles, great bike but too close to my other bikes), an MTS (12000 miles, ballistic and all day comfort) and own a K1600 GTL with a CVO Road King on the way.

I want an agile punchy TallRounder AND HAVE TEST RODE THE DCT twice, great engine and brilliant box but not sure about the soft front end and brakes or all day comfort.Plus, a minor issue, the equipment levels are low for the price.

The journo's always change their stance after a year and it does get mixed reviews but I value owners reviews as long as they are balanced!!!!

Any help appreciated as I'm 70% of the way there!!!

Additionally, what are the must buy add ons???      Seat, screen.......two more cylinders???
roundincircles

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Re: Objective View of Riding Ups and Downsides now Hoopla Passed
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »
Happy to help as I came from an 1150GS and S1000RR - yes both traded in for the DCT CT!

Pros:
DCT brings changing gear to an unrivalled dimension
Great Engine
Good brakes
Honda level of finish
3 yr warranty

Cons:

Soft/bouncy suspension which doesnt match my GS (although it did have Ohlins fitted) but Im still trying to dial the settings in
Thirsty
Poor spec level as std

MUst haves - an Akra can to enhance the V4 sound,a screen (probably although not for me), decent panniers as the std ones are silly money and crap quality.

If you can afford a CVO then I'd just buy the CT anyway and if you dont like it then get rid of it - no big deal.

Hope this helps

Trev  :002:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:38:01 PM by GS TRV »

Offline roundincircles

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by GS TRV [+]
Happy to help as I came from an 1150GS and S1000RR - yes both traded in for the DCT CT!

Pros:
Great Engine
Good brakes
Honda level of finish
3 yr warranty

Cons:
DCT brings changing gear to an unrivalled dimension
Soft/bouncy suspension which doesnt match my GS (although it did have Ohlins fitted) but Im still trying to dial the settings in
Thirsty
Poor spec level as std

MUst haves - an Akra can to enhance the V4 sound,a screen (probably although not for me), decent panniers as the std ones are silly money and crap quality.

If you can afford a CVO then I'd just buy the CT anyway and if you dont like it then get rid of it - no big deal.

Hope this helps

Trev  :002:

That's very helpfull, THANKS.

I do wonder about that suspension and would bet it gets changed/altered when the model is upgraded, usually year two for Honda. The Ohlins spoilt me on the MTS 1200.

Maybe a second hand bike is the way to go.
roundincircles

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 05:46:20 PM »
You're welcome  :002:

Re the suspension im maybe not being fair as it could be the simple disadvantage of paralever/telelever vs conventional fork debate. I tried the Triumph Exp and wasnt particularly enamoured by its suspension either tbh.

If BMW could make an inspring engine I wouldnt have sold my GS but after having demo'd the latest twin cam variant it felt positively wheezy in comparison to the CT so my decision was made - one bike which could tour/ride two and also be fun on a Sun afternoon. I would still contend that the CT does this and would have difficulty going back to a manual after such a fun experience with DCT. Read this;

http://www.visordown.com/mark-forsyths-blog/dct-clutchless-pants/20997.html

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-honda-crosstourer-dct/20130.html

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 07:35:50 PM »
Hi R I C, what's a MTS and a TEx please, consider myself pretty connected with bike models but have not heard of these!
Agree equipment levels are low, but can't complain about all day comfort, having done many 350 mile days. Hard on juice as a commuter, it levels off on a longer run.
Must haves are tall screen, rear hugger and rad guard. The rest are your preference and if you want to fill Honda's pockets for overpriced accessories, Akra pipe is just silly money. hope you get a CT. Cheers
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline roundincircles

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 07:58:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by thetrecker [+]
Hi R I C, what's a MTS and a TEx please, consider myself pretty connected with bike models but have not heard of these!
Agree equipment levels are low, but can't complain about all day comfort, having done many 350 mile days. Hard on juice as a commuter, it levels off on a longer run.
Must haves are tall screen, rear hugger and rad guard. The rest are your preference and if you want to fill Honda's pockets for overpriced accessories, Akra pipe is just silly money. hope you get a CT. Cheers

A MTS is a Ducati Multistrada 1200, a TEx is a Triumph Explorer 1200. Thanks for the advice. I am tired of filling Honda's pockets!
roundincircles

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
Hi RIC
Have been riding the CT for 20t km now and i must say i LoVe the bike. As Trev said DCT rocks and the V4 engine is just great. Personally, for "my use" mostly two up & long distance travel ... the suspension is "all right" for most situations. Sure, you could always improve ... for more comfort ... i may look into this matter for some winter work  maybe  :084:

Speaking about cons ... WEIGHT comes to my mind ... you wont feel it on the road BUT moving / shifting it around slowly on some camp sites or "offroad" may be tricky .... but it's a bloody beast ... with the right attitude you handle her  :029: Any other bike with those specs wouldn't be easy to move around either ...

I still might mock around on the smallish tank ... with 21.5L on such a thirsty beast is just not enough ... but - again - doable. One our IBA Saddle sore ride we were to go to the fuelstation 7 times in 22 hours ;-)

For a winter job i might go for an after market seat to get some more comfort. And yes an Akrapovic really does make very great sound out the V4!

I dont like the biggish aftermarket screens but an additional spoiler on the screen (mine is from Touratech) sure is a must. I also wont go for rad guard and engine guard (just dont like the look of it and then it adds on weight) .... but i may put on some aftermarket footrests ...

Ah yes, the Honda heated grips are just great! Wouldn't go without them anymore.

Other things i did: additional LED light kit from Solstice, Touratech Alu Panniers.

... by the end of the week - if the weather stays nice - we will go for a last autumn tour down to the north west of spain ...

hope that helps to bring you further in your decisions.. brings you to 75% there  :031: .. and NO you wont need two more cylinders  :110:  :159:
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline roundincircles

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 08:36:06 PM »
Ojo, that's very helpful.

Questions

I know you have recorded fuel usage. What tank range, two up and riding enthusiastically in the mountains, do you expect?

Specifically what would you alter with the suspension........fork dive, stiffer at speed?
roundincircles