2012 06 24 15 49 25

Views: 283
Posted by: scotsy
in: scotsy
In Blankenberge (Belgium)

Views: 337
Posted by: luckyluke
in: Luckyluke

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Osram Nightbreaker bulbs  (Read 11497 times)

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Osram Nightbreaker bulbs
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:15:35 PM »
Today was the first day with the new Osram bulbs fitted.

6 o'clock this morning on dark wet roads the commute to work involved a 15 mile run down the M77 motorway.  I could make most things out reasonably clear however I knew myself that I couldn't expect too much in these conditions.

Went out tonight for almost an hour on dark dry roads. Combination of A class dual carriageway, A single carriageway, and a few miles on country roads. This showed a slight blueness to the lights but still a very good white light with a good spread and depth on the faster roads and no complaints on the country roads where there was very little traffic. Overall thinking these are not bad lights.

Then it started to rain. Not pissing down but annoying light smir.

This showed up a few niggles for me.
First of all I was using the standard screen on low setting and the headlight was throwing up a reflection off the screen that I found quite distracting, particularly on high beam. Probably not helped by the light rain that wasn't quick to clear off my visor. Anyone with a MRA x screen like to comment if they have similar? I would think a higher screen would sort out the visor problem.
Another niggle was oncoming headlights, this really was only noticeable on country roads where you are closer to oncoming traffic. Although the CT lights were reasonably good in the dry, in the wet the spread of light was probably too much resulting in poor forward visibility as you drew level with a car coming the other way.
Last of all, this is probably being really picky, but on high beam in the wet road signs could be clearly seen from a fair distance but the reflection back off them as you got closer meant I was using dip beam in order not to be dazzled by my own light!

Overall they are a definite improvement over the standard bulbs and worth the money. A taller screen to have kept my visor clear probably would result in me being more positive about them in the wet.

As standard lights they are certainly better that my old GS and my wife's B6 Passat (worst lights I've ever had in a new private car). Got to admit a couple of times in the wet I did miss the Hella Micro DE fog lights I had wired in to the GS.

If I was using my bike every day of the year and in the dark then to be honest I would certainly be seriously considering fitting additional lighting or putting an HID conversion in to the dip beam.

Just my humble thoughts for discussion chaps  :031:

Offline oldhand

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: silver CT
  • City / Town: Ayrshire
Re: Osram Nightbreaker bulbs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
Hi Mika;

Good comments on the nightbreakers, I've had them for a while now and a definite and cost effective improvement on the OEMs.  Also using the MRA X screen with the bigger secondary screen and it's also an improvement on the original in terms of keeping the rain and turbulence off, but I like a bit of a breeze as once your visor is wet I think it's better to have the air flow to help clear it.  (Also good to have a pin lock visor insert to keep the condensation away of course). As you mentioned with the original screen, there's a distracting glare bouncing back from the lights, I intend to fit some dark tape / spongy material behind the screen where it can't be seen but will (hopefully) stop the glare in it's tracks...should make a difference, we'll see!  Went down to Girvan through the week and came back via Maidens and Dunure , pitch black and raining, bike excellent/ lights good but must admit I was glad to have the extra SW motech lights to help out at times in the corners.  p.s. Girvan fish suppers are fan-tastic  :002: 

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 08:33:14 PM »
Hi Oldhand

You must be getting the miles on your bike now!

Staying in Glasgow I normally take a run up to Inverary, Taynuilt and back via Tyndrum, Lochearnhead, Callander and home. Works out about 210 miles. Great mixture of roads and a couple of home baking stops on the way  :001:

Usually a once a year run ends up coming back through Girvan after a run through the Galloway Forest. Normally stop for a fish supper at the one located beside the public car park near to the Stagecoach bus garage, can't remember the name of it but open to suggestions if you have better local knowledge.

Back to the original posting, once my Hepco & Becker bars arrive I will consider adding the Micro DE's but will need to find a bracket that I can use to fit them to the CT

Used a Migsel bar on the GS and it was a great bit of kit.  :031:

Offline Manno

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 03:46:37 PM »
Just had the OE spots fitted and the light is blue and the headlamp is yellow. What fitment headlamp bulbs do i need and where's best to order from? Cheers
RD50LC GT185 FZR600R ZZR1100C3 CBR1100XXW XR650R VFR1200X

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
Hi Manno

You need H7 55w bulbs like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-NIGHTBREAKER-PLUS-H7-HEADLIGHT-BULBS-PAIR-/251147086873?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a79886c19

I have not used this site but it has good feedback and well priced  :031:

Offline Manno

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 09:27:23 PM »
Cheers Mika.  :031:
RD50LC GT185 FZR600R ZZR1100C3 CBR1100XXW XR650R VFR1200X

Offline revenue

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XCE,
  • City / Town: Mukdahan/ UK
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 12:11:55 AM »
Had a wee ride in the night and must say the Nightbreakers are a great bulb, so feel no LED spot lights now :002:

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • White very fast CT
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 06:50:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by revenue [+]
Had a wee ride in the night and must say the Nightbreakers are a great bulb, so feel no LED spot lights now :002:

and only £12.70 a pair on ebay! a bargain :031: