Scot8

Views: 256
Posted by: Farway
in: Farway
IMG 0032

Views: 632
Posted by: Freddy
in: Freddy

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What's the DCT like......  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Manno

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
What's the DCT like......
« on: September 22, 2012, 06:06:08 PM »
.....over speedbumps, hairpins bends, junctions etc?
The manual is a bugger! High second gear, backlash and clunky changes.
Does it have to go into 1st gear like the manual does and is the transition into 1st from 2nd smooth and quiet?  :435:
RD50LC GT185 FZR600R ZZR1100C3 CBR1100XXW XR650R VFR1200X

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Re: What's the DCT like......
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
Hi Manno
... it has been written a lot about DCT how great that new technology is ... I've been riding the DCT bike for over a 20t k's now and the only thing i could say it's brilliant ..

So, for hairpin bends ... or speedbumps .. you might want to switch up and down gears as on a manual clutch bike too ... there's not much of a difference. "Smooth and quiet" that depending a bit on the situation, on the level of "drag or draw" from the gearbox ... at some stages there are clunky transitions .. yes, but no better or worse as on a manual gearbox too.

A "disadvantage" of DCT can be driving / manoeuvring at very low speeds ... i'd really missed some assisting left hand clutch at times ... for example turning a fully loaded bike in a camping lot or such. You only have the right hand "throttle" to fine tune the moves, ... but i'd adjust it with the help of the rear brake when possible ...
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:25:40 PM »
it is a bit clunky at slow speeds like youve described but i came from a GS so nothing new there  :008:

with earplugs in its fine so overall not an issue  :062:

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:36:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by GS TRV [+]
it is a bit clunky at slow speeds like youve described but i came from a GS so nothing new there  :008:

with earplugs in its fine so overall not an issue  :062:
.. funny you mention this .. just yesterday i seen a GS Adv driver ... parade the bike ... driving off a parking lot ... at ... pretty speedy  ... you really could feel each gear changeing even from a fair distance  :008:
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 11:41:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by ojo [+]
.. funny you mention this .. just yesterday i seen a GS Adv driver ... parade the bike ... driving off a parking lot ... at ... pretty speedy  ... you really could feel each gear changeing even from a fair distance  :008:

What else do you expect from an engine design from the 1920s?  :745:

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »
I`m in Luxembourg right now, training motorcyclists in riding the bends. The DCT is by far the best bike in the twisties I`ve ever ridden, on a whole. The gearbox is simply magnificent! Whenever I feel the need to shift gears, I simply press the appropriate switch and the bike responds without any problems. I love it.
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE