Pirelli Scorpion Trail on CT

Views: 268
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob
Otztaler, Austria

Views: 98
Posted by: andyrob
in: andyrob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ABS too Sensitive ?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
ABS too Sensitive ?
« on: September 19, 2012, 05:26:45 PM »
Is it me or is the ABS too sensitive.

As mentioned in the tyre thread I've done 20k + miles on previous bikes with ABS (400k + without)and can't remember the ABS ever cutting in unprevoked. Since I've had the CT it's been once or twice a week. Bloody thing is forever cutting in. Either that or the BW tyres are sh#t.

If it's not the tyres and it really is that sensitive I think I'd rather switch it off. I'm experienced enough not to panic if the front locks up and as it is in tight situations I'm  convinced it's increasing stopping distances especially in a low speed commuting jam on the brakes situation.

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • White very fast CT
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
Re: ABS too Sensitive ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »
Change your DEATHWINGS!    :005:

Offline droid

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: Eagle Point, VIC
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 04:25:13 AM »
this is my first abs equipped bike and I thought it was unobtrusive though not much riding in the wet over here for me  :084:
jon

Offline revenue

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XCE,
  • City / Town: Mukdahan/ UK
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 05:34:53 AM »
Same over here Bridgestone Tyres are OK and no problem with the ABS, have felt the traction control work a few times on dirt roads,
The most likely the cause is the damp UK roads maybe the Bridgestones don't like that!!  here at over 30 deg every day no problem at all :164:
I know a friend here has a Versys and he complains the ABS is always switching on, but having seen him ride its just down to his style of riding and to much back brake, but we all ride differently!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:10:34 AM by revenue »

Offline VaraGirona

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Girona
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »
This is also my first bike with ABS, but in 7.000 km I've not seen this working for the moment; although in 3 months I've seen the rain only twice ...
I've to say that I normally don't use my rear brake ...
On dirty roads I've seen some times Traction Control working, but nothing about ABS.
I've got Pirelli on my CT
It doesn’t matter the fast you go, but the far you arrive ...

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
Linked brakes are fitted on the CT, so both front and rear come on to some degree when either lever or pedal is activated, are you feeling the ABS coming on with the back brakes only HarryH? or is it a combo of both. I notice the CT is less inclined to pitch forward than previous non linked brake bikes when the front brakes are pulled as the back brake comes in on one piston and levels up the bike again
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 03:42:33 PM »
It's been pretty dry here for the last few months so it's not damp roads. And it's not from stamping on the rear as I hardly use it unless for balance in slow filtering situations.

Grab a handful of front brake in the dry and the ABS kicks in waaaaay to early in my opinion. It's either too sensitive or the tyres are struggling for grip. Never had the issue before on the GS or Stelvio which were my two previous commute hacks.

Going home the other night pulling up to some lights (in the dry) on firm (not hard braking) the bike ran over a drain cover. ABS kicked in and the bike almost seemed to accelorate. A scary moment. Ok, on previous bikes there may have been a little slip before the bike regained traction once the Tarmac started again but on the CT the ABS vibe continued about 10 ft past the drain cover right until I came to a halt. :005:

So it seems keen to kick in and not so keen to kick off.

Could be a fault, could be the tyres, could be my riding style together with the Honda linked brakes system which I've never had before.

It's starting to bug me a little as I don't feel in control of the braking. Mind you it has slowed my riding  down a little which is no bad thing  :152:

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 03:58:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by grahew [+]
Change your DEATHWINGS!    :005:

V good advice.  I had them on a VStrom a few years back and they didn't instill confidence at all.