Navi holder

Views: 2953
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc
Belgium Tag

Views: 339
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First long(ish) Ride  (Read 3304 times)

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT
  • City / Town: Fyvie
First long(ish) Ride
« on: September 13, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
Had the CT for a few weeks, just done the 600 mile service (at 700 miles coz I couldn't stop riding it!) and this weekend we are off for a couple of days to Applecross and then Ullapool.
Got the Givi rack fitted at the weekend to take my E41 Panniers, top plate fitted to take the top box and all I need is some decent weather !

Wife is going to give me feedback for the pillion seat for the first long trip coz on most bikes I've had, we have had to have the seat 'resculptured' so I'm sure she will let me know !

Planning a trip to Austria next year so got to make sure we are both comfortable, its a long way from Scotland !!

Looking forward to the weekend, will report back  !

:038:

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Re: First long(ish) Ride
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »
Good luck with the weather, it doesn't look too bad for the weekend.

The run will no doubt just about double your mileage and let you both know how comfortable it will be for next years trip.
 :031:

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 05:02:40 PM »
Have a great time!  I was over the Bealach, round the coast and headed north back in August, then stayed a few days in Aultbea with friends - it's always a great trip, even if on this occasion I was in the car.
IanM

Offline VaraGirona

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Girona
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 08:56:17 AM »
Have a nice trip, mate.
I don't know from which bike do you come from, but with nearly 7.000km on the bike, my wife tells me (and repeats it) that the seat of the Varadero was better than the CrossTourer seat.
Of course it was bigger on the Vara (the bike was bigger also), and she had more space to move.
It doesn’t matter the fast you go, but the far you arrive ...

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:07:36 PM »
Still got a Blackbird which I've had since 1998 and a 2010 F800GS.
On both bikes I sent the seats away to get re sculptured and that cured the bum problem.
Unfortunately after 72000 miles on the Blackbird its not the seat that's the trouble now, its me, too cramped and not comfortable enough for a 59 year old  decrepit man like me !
We went to Lewis in July on the F8 and it was great on the tiny twisty roads and that will be the tool of choice for all my winter commuting to keep the rust off the other bikes.
It will be interesting to see how the CT seat performs but I do have a sneaky feeling it will also have to get the tarting up process for the trip to Austria (been booked now!) like the other bikes.
We'll see !

Offline Africajim

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »
My Fiona reckons the Varadero had more room to move about but she does think the CT seat's ok. But we've not went far with the CT two up as Fiona tends to take her own bike more now. Been over to Europe three times with the Varadero and can't fault it, I hope the CT's as good.
Be interesting to hear how you get on with the CT long haul Russ.

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »
Hi Jim

Right thats us back from the Applecross, roughly 500 miles round trip from Fyvie to Grantown, Spean Bridge, Lochcarron to Applecross then the next day up to Ullapool and then home.

We had planned to go North a bit further today but it was absolutely shote weather so all we wanted to do was come home in the sleet and 6 degree temps, we let home in 17 degrees so didn't take the usual winter wear !!

Anyway the bike was absolutely fantastic. Wife told me off for going too fast for the first leg to Grantown and I must admit it was far too easy to go too fast, but I retuned the brain and was fine after that.

The seat is the best I have ridden as a stock item for years, so we are both happy to keep it for the long tour next year.

The bike did everything that could be asked of it and more, we both got off at the end and absolutely no aches or pains evn if the crappy weather.

The road to Applecross was testing but we both passed.

Going to have to do it all again when the weather doesnt resemble November, pishing cold rain and a howling gale trying to blow us off the tiny road !

Only black spot was me getting it out of the garage on Sunday and trying to turn it around on the chukkies, ended up dropping it on my leg, badly bruised toe and gravel rash on my elbow and hand ! The we found out I lost my wallet somewhere after the Heather Centre, despite numerous calls no sign of it till we got home just now, answer machine message from Aviemore Police to say it had been handed it there !

So overall the bike was the star, its the owner needs sorting !!

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:54:38 PM »
Nice wee write up.

Hope you and the bike are okay after the drop, once a bike starts to go then it's gone.

Hoping to get a run up to Ullapool next month, probably the last reasonable mileage run this year if I can get it in. Had a good run up there last month on the GS and covered just under 600 miles in two days so that kind of mileage would be good to get under the belt of the CT
 :031: