Foxton Locks 5/2/17

Views: 115
Posted by: bigbob570
in: bigbob570
VT750C2 Shadow ACE

Views: 277
Posted by: RoadRash
in: RoadRash

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Calling all ex-GS riders!  (Read 1838 times)

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Calling all ex-GS riders!
« on: September 12, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
Time to make yourself known  :008:

Just give a little summary as to how you find yourself here and why.

Ill start:

I had an 1150 from new in Oct 03. Other bikes have come and gone since then alongside the GS but I never felt there were any real viable contenders to such a solid and reliable bike. Reading all the horror stories of 1200s with EWS and final drive seal failures i stayed well clear. This year I had to give up my sports bike owing to a back injury as well as looking for something with ABS and bullet proof reliability for the winter as the CT will be my only form of transport. I tested all the alternatives and am more than happy with my choice.

I was sad to see my GS go (it had done 44K trouble-free miles) and hope to get at least the same with the CT as well as have a LOT more go for when the sun comes out.  :002:

Trev
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:49:05 PM by GS TRV »

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Re: Calling all ex-GS riders!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »
Had an 1150, no problems in over 40,000 miles. Still on the road and now owned by one of my brothers customers.

1200, new rear light, full set of discs, front engine cover, 2 batteries all replaced under warranty.
Fuel pump controller stranded me at the side of the road a couple of years ago, such a common fault I told the AA man how to by-pass it to get me home. Bike is now 7 years old and although well looked after the corrosion has been back on the front cover for years. Loads of problems that BMW have never ironed out during the life of the bike and nothing makes me think the new 1250 will be any better.

With the money we are paying for bikes I want a quality product that I can trust. Trust has gone with BMW and I kept thinking what next.

The Honda seemed to be the bland choice of the alternatives, the reason I joined this forum was to see if there were any signs of problems and after test riding it and the Explorer the CT was the bike the GS never was. The Triumph reminded me too much of the GS and the build didn't look as good to me.

I've had a lot of good times with the GS's and everyone to their own, there seems to be a good mix of people here that don't constantly slag other manufacturers and are wise enough to see there are alternatives out there and that not everyone will look for the same things in their bike.

Hence the reason for being here and looking forward to getting my new bike hopefully on Saturday  :031:

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »
After many tens of thousands of VFR miles, I changed to a 1200 GS in September 2009.  I had recently had a knee injury and the VFR sitting position was just a little too restricted for me to be comfortable, so I looked for a more upright bike and test rode lots of things.  Of them all, the GS was undoubtedly the best and so I bought one – along with lots of other former VFR owners, I might add.

Had Honda made the Crosstourer in 2009, there is no doubt I’d have just bought one, but the Varadero wasn’t my cup of tea, the 1050  Tiger felt cheap (but wasn’t) and various other bikes just didn’t feel right whereas the GS was great fun.

In 19,750 miles, I had one battery failure (a fortnight after the warranty expired and 350 miles from home, so I just bought the one the nearest Halfords had and fitted it) and I guess that was the point at which I slightly lost confidence in its reliability. 

I am a self confessed V4 fan, so could not wait to try the new Honda, although time constraints mean I didn’t get to do a proper ride until the summer.  Predictably, I bought one and I love it.

But, the BMW had an absolutely superb front suspension system and I miss that, the more conventional forks of the Honda are not as good, although there’s nothing wrong with them.  And just last night, it dawned on me that I really ought to check the tyre pressures because I haven’t got a gizmo to do it for me anymore.

The GS is good, there’s no doubt of that, but the Crosstourer is more of an upright sports bike and I really like that!

Old and new outside the dealers on delivery day:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:59:59 PM by IanM »
IanM

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »
Ian - you make a good point re front end of the GS - its superb and absorbs virtually everything. I noted the "weedy" nature of the CT set up by comparison but hope to dial it out as best i can.

Mika - good luck for Sat  :152:   what colour btw?

I have another 10 days or so to wait.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:38:40 PM »
Trev

Going for Candy Prominence Red, same as IanM above, it will match my new Alpinestars 365 that I got recently!

Sales said they would try and get it ready for Saturday as they hope to get the bike tomorrow, but I suppose it will depend when the mechanics actually get to the bike. The only thing extra being fitted by the workshop is heated grips, everything else that I put on the bike I will fit myself. Centre stand actually arrived this evening by courier!

I know what you both mean by the front end, came as a bit of a shock the first time I braked and the front end came back up, years of GS riding had forgotten all about rebound :001:

Like yourself, probably after a few miles on the bike I will play about with the suspension until I am happy with it, but it certainly felt comfy!

Interesting you have gone for the DCT, I really liked it in many ways but the only time I really ever had it in the gear I wanted was when using it in manual. But sooooo smooooooth. To me the extra cost was a load of accessories.

I actually feel excited about getting this bike but its not my main transport so hope to get a few miles on it before the winter arrives and it goes to bed until about March.
 :031:

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:29 AM »
Hello Mika,

Where did you test ride the CT? VD's?

I'm away to the bike show in november and hope to jump on one. Maybe even compare it to a Super10 which I also fancy.

For the past 10 years i have been a GS *cough*....... X1400 rider.  :009: :001:

That red pops no matter what the light. Gorgeous.