20170429 141508

Views: 16
Posted by: DaveDee
in: DaveDee
P1120701

Views: 189
Posted by: LP
in: LP

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Any known CT issues??  (Read 5600 times)

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Any known CT issues??
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »
Hi guys,

Im seriously considering pullign the trigger on a CT but before i do can anyone enighten me as to any known CT issues?? I am reasssured by the 3 yr warranty although would appreciate any owner related experience.

many thanks

Trev  :031:

Offline revenue

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XCE,
  • City / Town: Mukdahan/ UK
Re: Any known CT issues??
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 12:02:45 AM »
Hi Trev
For me the screen is a complete waste of time but a easy fix, heading the MRA way.
The bike is to quite!!! Ordering  a after market can form Arrows [ keeeps the natives on their Honda waves alert]
But other than that the build quality is second to none, and the engine is outstanding, rode 750km the other day only stopping for fuel and i got off the bike and didn't feel like a lady boy!!! [sore arse]

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 12:09:20 AM »
Good news so far then  :152:

anyone have any seal issues with the final drive? (ala GS 1200)

Offline revenue

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:27:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by GS TRV [+]
Good news so far then  :152:

anyone have any seal issues with the final drive? (ala GS 1200)
You would think after all these years they would have rectified this!!
Had a GS1200ADV in NZ for 3 years, the bike looks the part big tank, chunky TKC80 tyres but in my 45 years of motorcycling was the most unreliable bike i have ever owned, even more than the old 916???

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 06:09:06 AM »
The only issues i have seen re-occurring on the net thus far are the heated grips...

Last 1200GSA I have ridden was my work bike, it had numerous problems but the worst was that the engine blew up after some braking valves.... not a pretty sight!

`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline revenue

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:28:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Allroadtoad [+]
The only issues i have seen re-occurring on the net thus far are the heated grips...

Last 1200GSA I have ridden was my work bike, it had numerous problems but the worst was that the engine blew up after some braking valves.... not a pretty sight!

Wow!!!
 i hope that was under Warranty??
You read many 100s of the same Horror stories, i feel most people buy them as a status symbol 'Look at me' definately nothing to do with reliability :008: :001:

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 06:37:46 AM »
This was one week past warranty. It had 78K kms on it at the time, 2 years and one week old. I`m a big guy and I need a big bike, I ride it every day. I also need shaft driven bikes so Honda had nothong to offer except the Pan European  of which I rode three. But I wanted an allroad for comfort and handling and there I kinda lost it with Honda. The Varadero was no option, so GS it was... I owned an 1100 and I still own an 1150. But the 1150 has been sitting in the garage ever since the CT arrived. After 2 weeks little over 4000 kms on the clock  :152:
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 07:45:19 AM »
I have a friend who for a couple of years was in the police motorcycles over here.
The only problems they ever had with the Honda's were heated grips failing, this is obviously an ongoing problem probably due to the fact that they are not factory fitted.
Never any final drives or any major mechanical problems. The dealer I ordered my CT from said they have never replaced a final drive on a Honda.

The RT's on the other hand have had the same problems as the GS's, and as far as I know they had 3 engines replaced under warranty after the right hand cylinder decided to disintegrate. Certainly in Strathclyde the RT's are being phased out and being replaced with GTR1400s.

If the only problem I get with a Honda is heated grips not working then I can live with that.

arab-exile