Random Gallery Image

Views: 440
Posted by: IanM
in: IanM
IMG 1431

Views: 126
Posted by: operatorius.lt
in: operatorius.lt

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi Trekker Spec  (Read 8024 times)

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Givi Trekker Spec
« on: September 10, 2012, 06:59:24 PM »
I'm thinking of a 46L Givi Trekker all round i.e panniers and top box on my proposed CT.

Has anyone any pics or thoughts on this?

Not sure if they will be imbalanced owing to the exhaust??

thanks

Trev

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
Re: Givi Trekker Spec
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »
I did a slightly different combination: 33l side cases plus the bigger (52l?) top box.  It all looks OK, although I don't have a particularly good photo to hand.  The 33l boxes make the bike wide enough, I think the 46s might be too wide for any sort of filtering.  As with all Givi kit, it feels solid and well made and my only reservation is the the rails are "quick release" and so any thieving scumbag could remove the rails and boxes complete and worry about the high security keys later.

EDIT: found a photo:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:36:59 PM by IanM »
IanM

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:28:41 PM »
thanks for that Ian - my gf is pretty demanding when it comes to packing so i may need to compromise filtering in order to facilitate carrying that kitchen sink  :008:

Offline Siwal

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT. DCT
  • City / Town: Bangor
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:54:09 PM »
Trev if you get chance an visit Belfast Honda, they have DCT with 52 top box an 46 panniers. I had good look at them when I was placing my order. The 46 Trekker panniers are BIG. We actually got tape measure out to see. They sit out approx 7" beyond the Handelbars ... Would make for interesting time if you decided to try filtering in traffic. :745:  hence I went with 52 top box  an 33 panniers.
You get a bit of an idea of the 33's from ianM photo.
Ah the joy of open road on a dry day.. Priceless!!

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
  • www.docraphotography.be
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 02:25:35 PM »
Is the 33l Trekker pannier big enough for a helmet (flipup) ?

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nickel [+]
Is the 33l Trekker pannier big enough for a helmet (flipup) ?
Not a chance. 
IanM

Offline SPW999

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Get Out There & Ride!
  • Bike: VFR1200X-Silver
  • City / Town: Singleton
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 12:29:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by IanM [+]
I did a slightly different combination: 33l side cases plus the bigger (52l?) top box.  It all looks OK, although I don't have a particularly good photo to hand.  The 33l boxes make the bike wide enough, I think the 46s might be too wide for any sort of filtering.  As with all Givi kit, it feels solid and well made and my only reservation is the the rails are "quick release" and so any thieving scumbag could remove the rails and boxes complete and worry about the high security keys later.

IanM.

For your info:
So no thieving scumbag can nick your rails and boxes.  Givi have put a hole in the bracket that locks into the space beneath the side fairing.  You can either use a padlock (So you will need 2! 1 on each side) or do what I have done and used a stainless steel bolt with a nylock nut.  Ok if you are leaving the carriers on most of the time, and pretty easy to remove when needed.
Will stop the occasional thieving scumbag, but not the determined, but then nothing will.
You can if you want to use padlocks, get a duo set, with the same key for both.

I use a 43 top box, and 33 sides.  The 43 will take my crash helmet - Shoei Multitec.  It will not take two though but her indoors is rarely a passenger so no problems.

S.

Just a thought - With padlocks fitted, they will probably rattle like buggery.........
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:14:54 PM by SPW999 »
Keep it on the Black Stuff or Dirt - BUT - Rubber Side Down.  Else it hurts!

Offline Bernie

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT, 2012, silver
Givi Trekker Spec
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 03:09:10 PM »
I don't see a high risk of stealing for
- I had Givi fairings mounted for 13 years on my Varadero, being on long tours in several countries of Europe. Most of the time the bike was parked "just under the sky": never had any issues
- you need a special tool to remove them, which is delivered with the fairing
- personally I consider the chance, that a thief would "need" exactly these fairings for the Givis on a CT as quite low

Btw: personally I don't pay much attention to the look of the bike. For me it must be practical and I'll not remove them when I don't need them.
After a few weeks you don't see them when not intentionally thinking about them.

Size, reliability (Givis proofed to be very reliable for 13 years and more than 100'000 kms) and comfort are important for me.

Just my two cents.

Regards, Bernie

arab-exile