Boots after Crash

Views: 440
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc
Rear Offside

Views: 359
Posted by: SPW999
in: SPW999

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First 1000km Service  (Read 2314 times)

Offline ricochet

• Crosstourer Member
First 1000km Service
« on: September 09, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »
I will get my brand new CT this Thursday.  I will ride it to my province, which is more or less 1000km from my dealer's location.  The problem is, there is no service center available in my area to do the 1000km check.  Assuming there is no major issue with my CT, I plan to do the mandatory oil change myself.  What I like to know is if there are major adjustments, i.e. valve reset, etc., that are necessary during the first 1000km check which should compel me to bring it back to the dealer?  Any idea what I should look out when doing the 1000km check?
2003 Piaggio X9 (Sold), 2004 BMW R1200C Montauk (Sold), 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Sold), 2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Sold)), 2012 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer

Happiness Is Never Real Unless Shared

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Re: First 1000km Service
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
Ricochet  :400: to the forum.

Haha, you have a funny problem ... you might drive half way home and then back to the dealer ;-) what about that  :305:

I think the first service is an important check on the bike in general, not only the oil change. They look at essential parts like checking screws, wheels, brakes etc. ... just to make sure that all is functional and right in place. That what they did on my bike ... not that there were any problems  :018:
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »
The owner's handbook gives details, see page 51, but that first service is basically:
change engine oil and filter
check/adjust engine idle speed
inspect brake system
inspect nuts bolts and fasteners
inspect wheels and tyres
inspect steering head bearings

So, the only real issue is whether you can do the work and record it with sufficient evidence so that if you ever need to make any warranty claim in future, you can satisfy Honda that it was done and done properly at the right time.

IanM

Offline Bob

• Crosstourer Member
  • Der Weg ist das Ziel!
  • Bike: CT-Black, manual
  • City / Town: Budapest
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:29:30 AM »
I was in the service at Friday.. /1000km/

They MUST change the oil filter, and the oil... it's not a "nice to have" thing :)

They checked all the bolts on brakes, forks, and in the other important places /with torque wrench/..
They checked the cooling liquid /the tank is behind the right side panel - the panel must be take off/
They checked the brakes /oil and brake pads/
They checked the indexes, lamps, etc../
They checked the engin /sound, vibrations, idle power/
They checked the wheels /staightline stability, rays/

So... likely U go in a Honda service.. this is not a "home made" procedure .. / so the 3 year warranty is not valid, when U make this at home/
Not always, but more and more often...

Offline jacob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Windsor
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 11:15:36 AM »
Hi ricochet and welcome to the group  :400:
I would myself find a nice route that takes you around and back to your dealer for 1000km first service, for me it is best to have the dealer do this for warranty and for peace of mind especially since you are already going to be 1000km away from a service center once you do get back home, best to be safe than sorry.
Enjoy your CT I hope you got a white one  :001: ... Jacob  :018:
2012 VFR1200X CrossTourer - April 2012 - http://crosstourer.tumblr.com/

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bob [+]
So... likely U go in a Honda service.. this is not a "home made" procedure .. / so the 3 year warranty is not valid, when U make this at home/
  In Europe, there has been much debate on this point.  The conclusion is that you must be able to demonstrate that the work was done properly using appropriate parts/lubricants etc.  It is not a requirement, in Europe at least, to have Honda do the work.
IanM