Random Gallery Image

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi from Belfast  (Read 2905 times)

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Hi from Belfast
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:36:30 PM »
Hi

Im Trev from Belfast and cant really call myself a member yet as im still deliberating between the CT and an Explorer. I tested the CT and fell in love with the awesome engine (and i own an S1000RR as well as a GS1150). Ive still to test the Triumph so its a case of watch this space.

Ive still gone ahead and speccd up my ideal CT - Akra,Givi Trekker all round and Givi bars and Fogs. Sweeet  :002:

Trev

Offline Siwal

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT. DCT
  • City / Town: Bangor
Re: Hi from Belfast
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 10:59:24 PM »
 :087: Well Trev I had the same thoughts, for me it came down to GS or CT or the DCT. I spent almost a week testing the different bikes. Ended with CT or DCT just not happy with the GS having been out on both version of the CT.
 :152: have now had my DCT for week now, can't stop smiling. Also went with Givi Trekker 52 top box + 33 Panniers , Givi tall screen, engine bars and spots. ( bit of a backlog on the bars and top box plate. Italy was on holiday for Augest) hop you make the right choice.
Ah the joy of open road on a dry day.. Priceless!!

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »
Hi Trev  :400:

Almost in the same boat as yourself, new member to the forum who was looking at the Crosstourer and coming from a 1200GS.
I have tried both the CT and the Explorer.
The Triumph initially felt almost identical to the GS straight away in the way you sit on the bike. I found it handled slightly better than the GS but the suspension was set harder, brakes were really good and the engine really nice, but, I found after 90 miles bum getting a bit numb, engine was buzzy about 5k and my right thumb was getting a bit numb like it does on the GS. having had an 1150GS prior to the 12 for all day comfort the 1150 was a better bike.

The CT I found to be really comfortable over the 200 mile test ride, probably due to it being a bit softer set up, but the riding position suited me and the engine is an absolute peach. Deceptively fast bike and getting a much better deal with Honda than Triumph or BMW.

To be honest I don't trust BMW's build quality at the moment and felt the Honda was in a different league compared to the other two.

Heading down to my local dealer on Monday to try and get a deal locally, if not the new bike will be getting ordered from Doble who are willing to deliver the bike as part of the deal and at the moment are saving me £400. 
Let us know your thoughts after riding the Triumph, there are plenty of GS converts on here by the looks of things.  :031:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:01:56 PM by Mika »

Offline Manno

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »
No brainer!
Go for the sumptious quality of the CT.
It seems the explorer has a few issues and it looks old fashioned to me.
(black engine and loads of silver bolts...yuk...like Alvin Stardusts leather jacket!) :005:
RD50LC GT185 FZR600R ZZR1100C3 CBR1100XXW XR650R VFR1200X

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »
Interesting stuff guys. 

Hey Mika - how did you find the GS twin cam engine compared to the CT?

Ive never tried it but feel it can't match the Honda at least from what the journos say.  I will demo a GS tomorrow just to be sure. There's a pannier deal with a few extras at the moment - obviously trying to clear old stock before the 1250 arrives.

This bike will be my only form of transport so I really need something reliable that can also handle a winter or two.  The Triumph doest instill confidence in me for that. The GS final drive woes don't encourage me much either  :087:

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 01:43:40 AM »
Trev

To be honest I didn't try the twin cam, never had a problem with the 1200 engine but I have had more warranty work carried out on the 12 than any other bike. I honestly think the quality and finish on the new BMW is not something I want to take a chance with and as much as I like the GS, for all day riding the 1150 was a better bike IMO.
BM are still having the same problems now with the !200 as they were at the beginning, final drive, corrosion, fuel pump controllers, brake discs etc. I know they are very good at replacing these in warranty but I am not prepared to put up with that standard on a bike that I intend to keep for a few years.
The Honda has a fantastic engine, comfort, and the build quality looks really good, only time will tell how it fares in the long run but it is encouraging to come on to this site and see no major issues being experienced.
I did have a laugh at some of the comments posted by narrow minded tossers over on the UK GSer forum about your thread. The GS may well be established as a market leader in this segment but I think BMW need to wake up and realise there is some serious competition out there now and they need to get their act together if they want to retain customers, for me after 11 years of owning GS's I have made the decision to move on.
Keep us updated with your thoughts
Regards
Mika

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • White very fast CT
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mika [+]
Trev

To be honest I didn't try the twin cam, never had a problem with the 1200 engine but I have had more warranty work carried out on the 12 than any other bike. I honestly think the quality and finish on the new BMW is not something I want to take a chance with and as much as I like the GS, for all day riding the 1150 was a better bike IMO.
BM are still having the same problems now with the !200 as they were at the beginning, final drive, corrosion, fuel pump controllers, brake discs etc. I know they are very good at replacing these in warranty but I am not prepared to put up with that standard on a bike that I intend to keep for a few years.
The Honda has a fantastic engine, comfort, and the build quality looks really good, only time will tell how it fares in the long run but it is encouraging to come on to this site and see no major issues being experienced.
I did have a laugh at some of the comments posted by narrow minded tossers over on the UK GSer forum about your thread. The GS may well be established as a market leader in this segment but I think BMW need to wake up and realise there is some serious competition out there now and they need to get their act together if they want to retain customers, for me after 11 years of owning GS's I have made the decision to move on.
Keep us updated with your thoughts
Regards
Mika

I agree with Mika 100% I to have owned many GSA's and they are all let down by finish and reliability ,the new CT is streets ahead in build Quality and the engine is so so smooth and pulls like a train i've always been a BMW man but no longer! :007:

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 04:00:07 PM »
Tried a twin cam today but compared to the 1150 it's a marked improvement on performance. However compared to the V4 it belongs to the last century.  :169:

Gonna demo a DCT tomorrow against a manual CT. I would consider myself a bit of a traditionalist but never say never!

Trev