Random Gallery Image

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Decision made  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Decision made
« on: August 30, 2012, 04:39:26 PM »
Well after years of riding BMW GS's the decision has been made.

Crosstourer for me!

Has a demo today on a DCT that only had 50 miles on the clock. After I put another 190miles on it I decided the Honda was the right next bike. I had a demo on an Explorer and it felt almost identical to the GS from the moment I sat on it, cracking engine and a lot going for it but there were plenty of things I was doubting about it that made me decide it wasn't worth changing the GS to it.

The Honda I don't think tries to take on the GS in the same way. Initially I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but after about 50 miles I realised that the fit and posture was perfect for me. The engine is an absolute cracker and has plenty of go wherever you are in the rev range, not that I was reving the nuts off it as it was almost a brand new bike.
It is deceptively fast and although it is softer than a GS or Explorer can still be thrown into corners, it just requires a little more effort with the softer suspension.

I was quite surprised how much the standard fairing kept the wind off but I haven't had so many flies on my visor since my last ZX9R! No doubt in time the screen will go for an after market one in due course.
The DCT was really nice and by far the smoothest bike I have ever ridden, unfortunately the only time I ever felt it was in the correct gear was when I was using manual. Drive had it in 5th gear at just over 30mph and I didn't think the engine was comfortable, particularly a new one. In sport I felt after an overtake it was still holding a gear too long when I had levelled the speed. I can see the attraction to many but not for me so I will be ordering a standard old fashioned manual.

All I need to do now is convince the wife that I really need a new bike!  :031:

Offline Huncadrew

• Crosstourer Member
Decision made
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 09:17:24 PM »
Good luck with the wife Mika and I don't think it is a decision that you will regret

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Decision made
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »
Good luck but she`ll be fine with it, once she sees your utter happiness...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:06:02 AM by Allroadtoad »
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 11:23:15 PM »
Welcome to the ever growing band of ex GS owners!
IanM

Offline oldhand

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: silver CT
  • City / Town: Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 11:46:01 PM »
Good decision Mika, that will be at least two in the West of Scotland, hope you don't pick silver, wouldn't want them to clash !!
Although all being well my CT will be in Germany on Sunday, Czech Republic on Monday and Slovenia on Tuesday...hope the seat improves with use  :002:

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 12:15:18 AM »
Good decision Mika, there are enough GS's on the road, we need more CT's :008:. interesting comments you made on the Explorer and i would like to hear what aspects of it you did'nt gel with, I had a friend who rode my CT recently and he commented that it felt and sounded like a GS! (i never rode a GS so i can not comment) so confused by his take on it. Also your comment about the DCT selecting 5th gear at around 30mph - I have a manual version and find that I must always be in the correct gear or the shaft drive will clatter badly beneath you, 3rd would be too high for 30mph, 4th is high enough for country roads up to 65mph, 5th and 6th are only needed for illegal speeds. I'm happier that i did'nt order the DCT if this is the case as I suffer badly from mechanical sympathy... lots of guys on here with DCT's and they are very happy with them. Good luck with the new motor
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 07:43:10 AM »
Good choice. The number of Ex-GS Crosstourer owners is growing rapidly. Enjoy. 

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • White very fast CT
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mika [+]
Well after years of riding BMW GS's the decision has been made.

Crosstourer for me!

Has a demo today on a DCT that only had 50 miles on the clock. After I put another 190miles on it I decided the Honda was the right next bike. I had a demo on an Explorer and it felt almost identical to the GS from the moment I sat on it, cracking engine and a lot going for it but there were plenty of things I was doubting about it that made me decide it wasn't worth changing the GS to it.

The Honda I don't think tries to take on the GS in the same way. Initially I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but after about 50 miles I realised that the fit and posture was perfect for me. The engine is an absolute cracker and has plenty of go wherever you are in the rev range, not that I was reving the nuts off it as it was almost a brand new bike.
It is deceptively fast and although it is softer than a GS or Explorer can still be thrown into corners, it just requires a little more effort with the softer suspension.

I was quite surprised how much the standard fairing kept the wind off but I haven't had so many flies on my visor since my last ZX9R! No doubt in time the screen will go for an after market one in due course.
The DCT was really nice and by far the smoothest bike I have ever ridden, unfortunately the only time I ever felt it was in the correct gear was when I was using manual. Drive had it in 5th gear at just over 30mph and I didn't think the engine was comfortable, particularly a new one. In sport I felt after an overtake it was still holding a gear too long when I had levelled the speed. I can see the attraction to many but not for me so I will be ordering a standard old fashioned manual.

All I need to do now is convince the wife that I really need a new bike!  :031:

but its well known the old fashioned manual gearbox is fastest in white.. :028: ............glad you chose a CT it does take a little while to get use to but once you have dialed the suppension in and  realise you need to use at least one gear lower than a GS in the same speed/corner ..........it becomes a far better bike than ALL of the others put together  :821:

arab-exile