Fully Loaded

Views: 388
Posted by: Splice
in: Splice
A My Red Tourer (8)

Views: 191
Posted by: iec
in: iec

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LandRover from central Florida, USA...  (Read 1165 times)

Offline LandRover

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: 2004 ST1300
  • City / Town: central FL
LandRover from central Florida, USA...
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:04:40 PM »
Hello CT fiends! 

I don't know where to start, so I'll offer this...

I've been lusting a GS since their inception, but for numerous reasons, I've never pulled the trigger. The desire for the bike has never waned, but I never did anything with it.

My current ride, a 2004 ST1300 with 114,000 miles on it, is ready to retire. Well, not really, but I can't justify two machines, so there it is.  :038:

While researching the CT, I came across this forum. As I'm a big fan of machine-specific, non-manufacturer operated sites, I couldn't resist. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and I like what I read.  :169:

Here's hoping the CT comes to the States next spring (or sooner!) so that I can join in the fun. I'm a late-40's motorcycling fool looking for the next horizon ... this will be fun!   :046:

Cheers!
Bill
All who wander are not lost ...
Be a traveller, not a tourist.

A traveller doesn't know where he's going,
a tourist doesn't know where he's been.

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Re: LandRover from central Florida, USA...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:33:47 PM »
Welcome Vill, being a previous ST1300owner myself I can relate a it. You`ll find the GS an utter dissappointment mechanically.. The Xtrourer on the other hand, it felt like coming home... what a bike.
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline jacob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Windsor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 04:43:10 AM »
Welcome Bill - wishing a speedy time for Honda to start shipping CT's to USA - you will love this bike when you get a chance to ride one
Jacob  :018:
2012 VFR1200X CrossTourer - April 2012 - http://crosstourer.tumblr.com/

Offline Red

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Blankenberge
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:36:25 AM »
Welcome Bill hope they ship ct over the ocean soon!!!

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
Welcome Bill, from Ireland, the ST1300 was (and is) a fantastically durable motor, here's hoping the CT is equally as long lasting, :400:
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 05:21:27 PM »
'You`ll find the GS an utter disappointment mechanically.'

Don't know if I would agree with the above. Having done almost 70k on an 1150 and 1200GS I have found them to be a great all round bike.

The problem is that its engine roots can be traced back decades and for too long it has had this market to itself which is where I believe BMW have went wrong in that they are relying on loyal customers returning to the brand but the truth is their build quality has gone down hill over the last few years. The 1200 I currently have is poor compared to the 1150 and plenty like myself are now looking at the alternatives, For me it is the Crosstourer or Explorer.

Mechanically I wouldn't compare the GS to a Honda because the GS is agricultural in comparison and if you are used to a V4 Honda you will find the GS engine like a tractor.

In the years that I have ridden GS's I have never had a major failure but I have had plenty of individual parts replaced and a lot of parts on the 1200 replaced for corrosion under warranty. A warranty claim is something I never had with any Japanese built bike. 

Personally I am due to take a Crosstourer out on Thursday from the local dealer and have very high expectations already based on what I have been reading. Had the Explorer out last week so will be able to compare the two and make a decision on what will be my new bike from there.

arab-exile