in: Red
DSC 0157

Views: 181
Posted by: Vrom
in: Vrom

Views: 223
Posted by: luckyluke
in: Luckyluke

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TomTom GPS wiring  (Read 3898 times)

Offline gazbiker

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer 1200
  • City / Town: brackley
TomTom GPS wiring
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:43:52 AM »
Guys

Thanks to strider i've managed to remove the panels and expose the plug for the power.

However my TomTom has a 5v USB connector so if I wired straight into the loom I would fry my GPS!

Does anyone know where I can get a "kit" that connects into the 12v side of the bike and has a convertor built in down to 5v?

Previously I simply plugged the cigerette lighter into the socket on my Guzzi but it would mean me wiring in a female socket which is gonna be a bit of a faff!

I suppose most of you guys are Garmin users and I know that the mount for the garmin takes a 12v feed but thge TomTom uses a 5v usb connector.

Worst case scenario is that I go to maplins and get a 12v - 5v regulator and splice it in?

Cheers

Gaz
Fireblade, Guzzi 1200, Ducati 888, Honda Firestorm, Honda VTR

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Bedford
Re: TomTom GPS wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »
I'm not sure about TomTom but surly if you by TomToms hard wire kit it should come with all the necessary components to wire your satnav. Is this what you need
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hardwire-Micro-USB-Car-Power-Cable-Kit-For-TomTom-Inc-Urban-Rider-Start-60-25-/230830817791?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item35be96c1ff
Hurry only 3 left. Hope this helps  :002:

Offline gazbiker

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer 1200
  • City / Town: brackley
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »
Strider you are a flippin genius :046:

That looks exactly what I want. The TomTom I have is over two years old now and I don't have the original box or fitment kit so the ebay item looks like it will do the job.

cheers

Gaz
Fireblade, Guzzi 1200, Ducati 888, Honda Firestorm, Honda VTR

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
No worries mate I'm glad I could help you, stay lucky buddy. :031:

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 03:40:01 PM »
Hi Gazbiker, any idea why Tomtom uses a 5v supply, seems strange and never occurred  to me when i bought my  zumo 660 that it would be any other voltage than 12v, is it a common laptop voltage? it will mean extra wiring and control boxes to be hidden on the CT
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 05:10:44 PM »
My new garmin Zumo 350LM also runs at 5V. On the hard wire kit that comes in the box with the satnav there is a black box in line with the power cable. This I presume is reducing the voltage from 12v to 5v. I'm very pleased with this new satnav, I've just got to get my head around using Basecamp. For those that don't know, Basecamp is a free download from Garmins web site and it lets you organise your routes on your computer and then you can down load the route direct to your satnav - COOL.  :169:

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »
Thanks Strider, i have updated my 660 with the lifetime update on the garman site recently but did'nt see the basecamp feature, its not a great site-difficult to see the features, i wondered about this route planner and will take another look. Cheers
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by thetrecker [+]
Thanks Strider, i have updated my 660 with the lifetime update on the garman site recently but did'nt see the basecamp feature, its not a great site-difficult to see the features, i wondered about this route planner and will take another look. Cheers

Here is the link to Garmins Free BaseCamp download for you PC. Just to let you know you need to have your satnav plugged into your computer as the basecamp program uses the mapping system stored on your satnav and not any maps from the net. This is because you don't need an internet connection to use it, just your computer and satnav is all you need.
http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/basecamp

Recent Topics