Chaffey Dam camp site

Views: 253
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob
RadGuard

Views: 329
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lighter socket  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Fulano

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Coimbra
Lighter socket
« on: August 07, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
Got mine and find it very useful! These modern android phones are hungry for power with Bluetooth turned on and this way the phone is always charging in long trips!
Expensive though... Honda original around 100€...

Offline Hitty

• Crosstourer Member
  • Shazam!
  • Bike: Cross Tourer
  • City / Town: London
Re: Lighter socket
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Thanks for your advice, fella, although that's a lot of money for what is effectively a €10 in-car iPhone charger!!

Hitty

Offline Fulano

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:54:37 PM »
Only that's not in-car but in-bike!
Quite funny that the places for drilling are already marked with crosses under the seat!
I use it mainly to connect a phone charger, but you can connect anything. A torch, a pump, a cooler for your beers, charge your camera... Any strange device you want can be connected!
The lighter socket is the universal standard for cars. Now it has come to the Crosstourer!

:001:

Offline Hitty

• Crosstourer Member
  • Shazam!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:16:20 PM »
Good to know...I'm sure I'll add one.

Quick question - can you fit an Optimate Charge to this then and save having the Optimate lead hanging out the side of the bike all the time?

I'm sure they've done this for the Triumph Explorer.

Any ideas, guys?

Hitty

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:50:11 PM »
 Hi Fulano, that is a nicely mounted socket, can you confirm if the lead coming to it is direct from the battery or has it a special jack plug to plug into the loom somewhere please. personally i could not bring myself to paying Honda £100 for a fag lighter socket, when it came standard on adventure and touring bikes 10 years ago. i bought a quality socket and plug from Maplin and will make a bracket like yours to mount. the trickle charger could be linked in here if its direct to the battery as this bike does not have canbus wiring . Thanks for the pictures
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Fulano

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 06:14:57 PM »
The connection is direct to the quartet socket. An additional extra you have to get to connect GPS, heated grips, and is the main power distributor in new Honda models. The NC 700 uses the same system at least...
You have to pass the cables under the fuel tank.
Most accessories in Honda are not luxuries, but fundamental pieces that should be there already from origin!  :232:

This lighter socket depends on ignition. So I presume it wouldn't be adequate for Optimate...

:018:

Offline Hitty

• Crosstourer Member
  • Shazam!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:05:15 PM »
cheers Fulano...looks like I'll have the standard Optimate direct to battery then

Hitty

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:42:40 PM »
Much obliged Fulano for the info, its back to the drawing board, you are correct- the optimate would not work through this socket, nor would even charging a phone as the bike would have to be running (or ignition on ).no use to charge the phone overnight at a campsite and no use to power an air pump to blow up a mattress as its load would blow the fuse. May have to connect up a fag lighter socket direct to the battery (with its own in line fuse) to power heavy loads and permanent feed uses and then connect another one through the loom up near the handlebars to supply sat nav. Cheers
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.