Heated grips and DCT

Views: 5171
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc
Scot5

Views: 330
Posted by: Farway
in: Farway

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removing Panels  (Read 4521 times)

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT
  • City / Town: Fyvie
Removing Panels
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:16:55 AM »
As I only picked up my bike on Friday I have a quick question regarding removing the plastics.

I got a set of Givi Crashbars last week and need to take the side panels off to fit them.

After a quick look I saw 2 outer screws and 2 inner pop fasteners at the top. However after removing them the panel refused to budge and I didn't want to just start pulling in case a hidden fastener broke.

Anyone taken them off yet and is there any extra fasteners I can't see ?

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Re: Removing Panels
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »
Hi Russ, removing side panel- 2 silver panel screws, 4 pop type plastic clips, 2 at dash area(press in the centre button to pop them) and2 in behind (above the radiator) then ease the panel out to you and forward towards the front of the bike to remove it off 3 lugs in slots on the rear of the panel (not visible when the panel is in position), one at the front and two at the top. hope this helps. i fitted the Honda crash bars and the instructions are very poor in that it suggests the panels have to be removed to fit the mounting brackets up under the light fitting, which is true, then when the crash bar is fitted it says to then refit the side panels which is impossible! the crash bar must be loosened at the front and hinged down to sit on the front mud guard to allow just enough room to slot in the side panels. hope this makes sense :174:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:45:43 PM by thetrecker »
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:28:28 AM »
Thanks for that !
Yeah the instructions are pretty pathetic really, a few photos and not a lot else !
Thanks for the info on removing the panels, I will need to get some sort of workshop manual, I usually do for my bikes, saves breaking things with brute force and ignorance  like I usually do !!

Cheers !!

:031:

Offline marvincon

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: NC750 dct
  • City / Town: leics
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »
Took my LH panel off this evening to connect satnav feed, before pushing panel forward, with 2 screws & 4 plastic push pins all out , the RHS of the panel needs to be pulled out 20 mm  to release another fixing. I was struggling to push it forward until I discovered this.

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »
Thanks for the info, I got both panels off at the weekend and got the Givi Crash Bars on with no problem.

It was good to find out about pushing the panels forward because if I hadn't know that it would have been quite easy to break something off by trying to pull them off sideways.

Dead easy when you know !!

:031:

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
Folks

If anyone has done this and has time to take pictures showing the location of the fasteners and lugs then I think this would be very useful as no doubt at some time, even just for cleaning, most people will take these panels off.

As has been mentioned sounds easy to break a lug if you don't know it's there  :031:

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
  • www.docraphotography.be
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:52:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mika [+]
even just for cleaning, most people will take these panels off.
:435:
Do you have to clean it????

Offline tsodeq

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Bologna
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mika [+]
Folks

If anyone has done this and has time to take pictures showing the location of the fasteners and lugs then I think this would be very useful as no doubt at some time, even just for cleaning, most people will take these panels off.

As has been mentioned sounds easy to break a lug if you don't know it's there  :031:

et voilà
".. you feel good wind .. never enough time .."