Nullarbor

Views: 338
Posted by: RoadRash
in: RoadRash
Ucmakdere2

Views: 305
Posted by: techno40
in: Techno40

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi Box & Load Weight - Some Advice Please, Folks...  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Hitty

• Crosstourer Member
  • Shazam!
  • Bike: Cross Tourer
  • City / Town: London
Givi Box & Load Weight - Some Advice Please, Folks...
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »
Hi All,

I'm going to be using my Givi Trekker on my CT when it arrives in Sept.  Looking at Givi's site and their PDF instructions for the CT's top plate (SR1110), they're advising a maximum load of just 6kgs.

What do you reckon?  Just covering themselves legally or genuinely a maximum payload?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Cheers, Hitty

Offline Bernie

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT, 2012, silver
Givi Box & Load Weight - Some Advice Please, Folks...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
Hitty
We are just now on a three week tour with the CT and our three 45kg Givi  cases. We are using hotels, so have no camping equipment on board.
Well, I am not able to derive the precise weight of the load, but - to be honest - I don't care. We had all boxes already with the Varadero and did the same kind of trips several times and I / we never encountered  any issues. I am pretty sure we have every case loaded with approximately 15 kgs.
Of course one can feel the higher overall weight but I feel  very comfortable and safe on the bike, even more than on the Vara. I am 73 and my wife 64 kgs plus gear.

My dealer just recommended me a few years ago to secure the boxes with an additional "quick lock ribbon". And that's what we do.

Being you I would not care too much about that, as long as you are just loading the normal stuff you need during long trips.

Regards, Bernie
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:09:54 PM by Bernie »

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
Re: Givi Box & Load Weight - Some Advice Please, Folks...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 08:34:49 PM »
I agree, never had a problem with the weight in Givi boxes - but I'm not in the habit of carrying a load of bricks round either, you understand!
IanM

Offline VaraGirona

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Girona
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 08:00:34 AM »
Hi Hitty
I agree with others. I used to travel with my old Varadero with Givi cases and top case, and the weight always was between 12-14kg each one.
And I've never had a problem with them.
Don't worry about it.
It doesn’t matter the fast you go, but the far you arrive ...

Offline Hitty

• Crosstourer Member
  • Shazam!
  • Bike: Cross Tourer
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 05:21:57 PM »
Appreciate the steer, guys...I thought it was more legal cover than practical advice from Givi.

Indeed, I don't plan to be lumping a load of house bricks in my top box (!) but by the time I've got my laptop, clothes, food, etc for my commute, that box deffo weighs more than six bags of sugar!

All the best chaps,

Hitty

arab-exile