in: Luckyluke

Views: 118
Posted by: The dogs
in: The dogs
Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail

Views: 1062
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Am I big enough for a crosstourer ?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline oldhand

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: silver CT
  • City / Town: Ayrshire
Am I big enough for a crosstourer ?
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »
Hi from Ayrshire, Scotland    :028:

Waiting for my silver crosstourer to arrive next week and I'm just wondering...is it too big for me??

Possibly OK on a flat surface, but what happens when you add a bit of camber, a pillion and some luggage, is there enough scope to balance on one foot in every situation?

I'd be interested to hear of any drops or near misses when stationary because of the size.

I'm 5ft 10inch / 1.77m.  how does this height compare with the rest of the forum members?

Also, any female owners or does the size of the bike mean it's only for the guys? 

Best regards
Oldhand

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
Re: Am I big enough for a crosstourer ?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »
Hello and welcome!

5'11 and 30" inside leg here and the seat height is pretty much perfect to get one foot flat on the floor and the other very close to flat - certainly much better than tip toes.  My previous bike was a GS and the Honda feels much more compact than that.  Once you're moving, the weight disappears, this is one well balanced bike.

What bike are you coming from?
IanM

Offline Red

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Blankenberge
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »
Hello Old Hand,  :400: to this forum
I'm 1.80 m. and I can put my feet flat on the ground in comparison whit my Varadero, who was 1.50 cm lower I could only stand on my toes, that is due to a narrower saddle. There are craftsmen who take your original saddle and make it bit lower and redo the outside  thing....  :138:
For example http://users.skynet.be/ozzyseats/

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
Hi oldhand, I'm 5'7" and use the old 'dirt-biking' method of sliding one bum cheek to the side as i approach a stop. There really is no need to have BOTH feet down.

Also after a while the bike settles to a lower position as the suspension beds in

If you really want it lower its best to spend a few hundred pounds with a suspension guru who could shorten extended length of both the forks and rear shock by altering them 'internally' although it might void the warranty on those items (might be better to ask Honda UK)

Good luck

ian

Offline oldhand

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: silver CT
  • City / Town: Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »
Thanks guys;

Last 6 years I've had a blackbird so a big change in seat height coming up.
I like the sound of sliding to one side to get a better footing I'll definitely give that a go, must admit I loved sitting high on the test run, so all good!

Thanks
Oldhand

Offline Bernie

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT, 2012, silver
Am I big enough for a crosstourer ?
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »
I am 176 cm and it works fine with me.
I guess you give a try at your dealer. Coming from the Varadero (there a lower nominal height) the form of the seat matches  better for me with the CT.
Regards, Bernie

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »
Hi ,Oldhand... I had a blackbird some years ago and at 5'8" find there is little if ay differance in getting a secure footdown.. The shape of the CT's seat helps in making this easier and I am sure that if required the custom seat builders would find you another inch,!The well balanced weight also helps and yes you will find the suspension settles a little.. Once you own it and ride it you will love it and and acept it as what it is ...the best bike in its class ( and the world as far as I am concerned)..  :305:

Offline peace

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X~RED
  • City / Town: JayBee
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »
 :400: oldhand...i guess im the shortest rider in the club here as i only 1.68m and im using scotsy method by  1 bum cheek to the side when im stopping so that i can have a flat feet on the ground otherwise if tip toe is really hard if need to push the bike as i travel everyday through the busiest custom which always jam can't be on the engine all the while....after sometime you will use to it so don't worry just enjoy the ride...  :029:
~Never Ever Give Up~