DSC08375

Views: 244
Posted by: voyager888
in: voyager888
Kulnura

Views: 201
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A Radiator Guard Is Born!  (Read 17262 times)

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
A Radiator Guard Is Born!
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:51:38 PM »
I have had a great day out today, up to Halifax to get the new radiator cover designed, made and fitted to the Crosstourer by Beowulf, whose web site is www.beowulfuk.com.  It’s 90 miles up there, mostly on the motorway and mostly in the rain, but the Crosstourer was quite happy with the trip, although the screen is still a bit noisy at speed – I need to do something about that.

I arrived at the factory bang on schedule at 9am and was immediately offered a brew, which is always a good start to the day. 

This is how the bike looks straight from the factory (and a trip up the M1 in the rain!):

At first glance, the Crosstourer radiator looks very much like the ordinary VFR 1200, so the guys dug out the drawings for that and got the tape measure out.  Strangely, it’s not the same, the Crosstourer radiator being 20mm taller than the other one, but the width is the same and it uses the same mounting points at the bottom.  Why would this bike need a bigger radiator than the 160 bhp+ version?  Strange.

However, since the change was pretty simple, it didn’t take long to get the punch set up to make the new blank, or rather a pair of blanks:

This was then offered up to the bike and it became clear what a bunch of perfectionists these guys are because it sat about 2mm off centre with a slightly bigger gap on the right hand side than on the left.  Not good enough, they said:

The drawings were altered to shift the mounting holes and another pair of blanks was made.  This was a much better fit.  Next up was the logo for the centre spot.  Alas, their graphics man is away on holiday, so copying the “X” logo and converting it to the right file for the plasma cutter to work with wasn’t going to be possible.  We played with a number of existing X logos, but none were anywhere near right, so in the end I opted for a simple V4 logo, which the plasma cutter soon created for us:

However, general opinion was that the logo wasn’t correctly positioned, the lettering being too close to the grill area:

So the drawing was changed again and another blank was plasma cut.  This time, the logo is much better placed and we were all happy.  Here’s the finished product, which I think looks great and should give plenty of protection for many years to come.  Well worth a day out to be their test mule!

Coming home, I was in no rush so came via Holmfirth, then Holme Moss, 1719 feet above sea level and a really good road which the Crosstourer devoured with ease!  In Glossop, I turned left and over the Snake Pass which is all 50 limits now, but mid week when it’s quiet is a nice run.  It was pretty windy up there with the tress waving wildly, but I can report that the Crosstourer ran arrow straight, no problem from the cross wind whatsoever.  Ladybower reservoir is full (surprise, surprise with all the rain we’ve had) and a late lunch at the Woodbine Café in Hope was as good as always.  Over 800 miles now and the Crosstourer continues to impress.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:21:25 PM by IanM »
IanM

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
Re: A Radiator Guard Is Born!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 02:52:26 PM »
I have just spoken to the company ,and ordered one!, and they say they will be available from Monday. The first batch of 10 is being made now and the price is  £57/58 with £4.50 postage.. The centre logo will be 'V4'..At long last and looks a good looking bit of kit at a reasonable price. :028:

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »
Well done, Sir!  I was very impressed with the guys and their attention to detail.  I am sure you'll be very pleased with the result.
IanM

Offline Hitty

• Crosstourer Member
  • Shazam!
  • Bike: Cross Tourer
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:11:49 PM »
Nice one, Mr M...I'll be taking a look at their site.

Quick question...is it easy to fit?

Hitty

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »
Yes!  You have to remove the plastics off the sides and bottom, but that’s just the allen bolts and a few plastic clips.  The guard then clips on at the top (the guard is made specially to fit) and two bolts replace the 2 plastic clips at the bottom so it is held top and bottom.  The side plastics then just go back on over the guard, no problem.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:36:36 PM by IanM »
IanM

Offline Hitty

• Crosstourer Member
  • Shazam!
  • Bike: Cross Tourer
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:24:39 PM »
Cheers Ian, so even a rubbish non-mechanic like me can have a stab at it.

I've been in touch with Beowulf and they reckon end of week we can start ordering.

All the best,

Hitty

Offline AgaTourer

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CrossTourer
  • City / Town: Agadir
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
Hi IanM, Thanks for the information about the radiator guard, i need one my self , i think this is the best one on the net , it looks tough and pretty :) but can you buy the guard over the net?

cheers

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 05:08:06 PM »
Mine was the prototype, they are making the production ones now and (as Hitty said), they should be available very soon.  Phone and ask for Andy (the boss) - I am sure he will be happy to post overseas.
Contact details are +44 1422 377603 or www.beowulfuk.com
IanM

arab-exile