Pan European box rear view

Views: 286
Posted by: scotsy
in: scotsy
Zümo 550

Views: 1197
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dropped the bugger !!!!  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Dropped the bugger !!!!
« on: July 30, 2012, 01:53:25 PM »
Yep, after over thirty odd years of biking I dropped the bike for the first time moving it out of the garage  last night.

It was one of those hellish slow motion type moments. Backing the bike out my foot slipped a little and the bike started to slip away from me, by the time I realised it was getting to the point of no return I couldn't stop it and it slowly just tipped over. My immediate reaction was to panic and run round to the other side to get it back up but after one attempt and nearly putting my back out I realised I stood to potentially add to the damage by not getting the lift right first time.

Luckily there's a strong lad that lives next door so with his assistance we got a nice easy clear lift to get it back on the stand at which point I could inspect the damage.

It went down on the right hand side.

Broken hand guard- Needs replacing
Bent front brake leaver - Needs replacing
Minor scratches to exhaust guard- Will live with it as you'd only see it if you know it's there and go looking for it.
Very minor mark to the crash bar- Again I can live with it.
Scrape to the engine casing. We're talking the size of 1p coin- Hopefully Honda sell touch up paint.

The worse bit is that the silver  plastic looking bash plate/ cowl type thing is actually supported by a lug that comes off the engine casing which sheared right off. What a crap design. The thought of replacing that whole unit was looking very expensive so as it's hidden I just stuck it back on with some JB Weld. I haven't reattached the plastics yet but on inspection this morning it seems to have taken and feels strong. The plastic cowl also took some scrapes so I may need to replace or repaint it

When my bike was lying on it's side with me on my own unable to lift it all I could do was jump up and down swearing  on the verge  of tears  :012: But in hindsight I think I've got away quite lightly. Providing the JB Weld holds of course. :084:

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Re: Dropped the bugger !!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »
Too bad ... sh#t happens ... but you know what ... such things happen to any serious biker  :155: sooner or later. So i actually had a couple of near drops too ... but so far been lucky.

So as long nothing else .. no other persons or yourself been hurt ... dont worry too much  :018:
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 03:12:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by ojo [+]
Too bad ... sh#t happens ... but you know what ... such things happen to any serious biker  :155: sooner or later. So i actually had a couple of near drops too ... but so far been lucky.

So as long nothing else .. no other persons or yourself been hurt ... dont worry too much  :018:

Absolutely, but when you feel the thing start to go and there's nothing you can do to stop it, then look at it lying there not knowing how much damage it's sustained one feels mighty pissed off for being so careless in the first place.

I'd been moving my KTM dirt bike around moments earlier which weighs didly squit which maybe was the route cause of the problem.

Offline matchip

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Selangor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
Owh! That's bad... In the early stage, it is all emotional.. 2nd stage it's your wallet... 3rd you'll be just fine!

Same as Ojo, don't worry much... it's just cosmetic and some scratches just shows character. It's an adventure.

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 04:54:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by matchip [+]
In the early stage, it is all emotional.. 2nd stage it's your wallet... 3rd you'll be just fine!

Wise words. Having just ordered the replacement parts I'm already at stage 3. :008: Fitting them will be a good excuse to tinker with the bike in the garage which is always fun :046:

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »
I remember doing exactly the same thing with my GS - fortunately it's got those sticking out cylinder heads to protect everything else when it goes over!  Anyway, please you're OK and can laugh about it. 
IanM

Offline Red

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Blankenberge
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »
That happened to me when I had my Varadero for 4 day's. :164:
I was waiting for the traffic to pas and a large truck passed me and I had to put the bike gently down. I think it was the air displacement in combination with the position of my foot. it to went over the point of no return.......... Result a scratched gas-tank and my manhood to  :034: 

Offline Manno

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 09:02:05 PM »
Bad luck mate! Better to let her fall than do serious damage to your back.
My neighbour's hayabusa fell over on the driveway the other day. He parked it facing downhill on the sidestand in neutral! Anyway his busa is quite badly damaged and needs a new paint job, graphics, clutch lever, bar end, mirror, hero blob, engine casing and silencer repair/paint job.  :033:
RD50LC GT185 FZR600R ZZR1100C3 CBR1100XXW XR650R VFR1200X