IMG 0967 1 EICMA2011

Views: 170
Posted by: Giovannino
in: Giovannino
DSC 0063

Views: 187
Posted by: Vrom
in: Vrom

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: satnav wiring?  (Read 5094 times)

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • White very fast CT
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
satnav wiring?
« on: July 27, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »
 I'm about to fit my new satnav and wondered does anybody know which is the best connection point, ideally off the ignition so as the satnav will turn on off on the key Rather than direct power to the battery :084:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:29:59 PM by grahew »

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Re: satnav wiring?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 07:47:19 PM »
I did the direct connection to the CT battery with my zumo 660 which is the way i always connect the garmin brackets up, done this on at least the last 6 bikes i've owned and never had a problem, in fact i bought another powered mount for my TDM900 recently and wired that up by the same method :152:

What exactly are people worried about happening? :305:

Ian

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • White very fast CT
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:42:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]
I did the direct connection to the CT battery with my zumo 660 which is the way i always connect the garmin brackets up, done this on at least the last 6 bikes I've owned and never had a problem, in fact i bought another powered mount for my TDM900 recently and wired that up by the same method :152:

What exactly are people worried about happening? :305:

Ian

flattening the battery if you forget to turn satnav off  :138:

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »
Good point there scotsy. I think it's better with direct wiring too ... i have it like that on my good old AfricaTwin. However, on CT it's wired on ignition (my dealer did that and i didn't care) .... so each time i go for a short stop i would have to "decide" the satnav to stay on (internal) battery power or it would switch off ... it's a wee little annoying ... nothing to worry though. My advice, go on direct power ... all the time on.
It sure would take a long time to flatten the battery if you would forget to switch it off. Never actually really was a problem on my long journeys. You either switch it off or take the navi down anyway.
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline matchip

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Selangor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
Ian, I used to wired my zumo 550 on my zx10r direct to the battery. a blue corrosion seems to build up on the zumo mount after few months when I seldom put the zumo on it. If i'm not mistaken it's the 6th pin (or 8th... can remember) when count from left>down to right. seeing this, I rewired it to the ignition switch and the problem doesn't occur anymore. But I did notice some of my friends that did the direct wiring are fine and haven't had the problem.

the option spare plug posted by stryder previously would help you get the power for your zumo, it's station under the left front fairing, if you're not planning to strip the ignition switch cable. I haven't look into it since my accessories yet to arrived but I do think and plan to use it to power up my zumo and connect it to my fog light relay as it has two live circuit in there. 

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:34:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]
I did the direct connection to the CT battery with my zumo 660 which is the way i always connect the garmin brackets up, done this on at least the last 6 bikes i've owned and never had a problem, in fact i bought another powered mount for my TDM900 recently and wired that up by the same method :152:

What exactly are p

eople worried about happening? :305:

Ian

Any chance of a pic Ian? I've a 660 too.

Thanks

Trev

Offline Siwal

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT. DCT
  • City / Town: Bangor
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 12:03:12 AM »
If its any help guys.. I fitted my zumo 660 just yesterday to my DCT.
If you have heated grips fitted, then you will have a quad wiring loom fitted as part of it.
It's located on left, behind fairing panel on side of tank. 2 screws and 4 push/pop rivets are all that holds the cover in place. The loom has other spare connections for such as 12v acc plug, etc. I was able to connect via 2 spade connectors into a spare connector. The Garmin is now connected via ignition. 
Ah the joy of open road on a dry day.. Priceless!!

Offline revenue

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XCE,
  • City / Town: Mukdahan/ UK
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »
Must be 660 fever!!
Just wired in my 660 to the accessory harness and made a bracket to carry the Zumo 660, some pictures below.

arab-exile