Logging with the CT

Views: 327
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc
20130708 170016 (480x640)

Views: 248
Posted by: dentonlad
in: dentonlad

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honda touring screen woes - FREE FIX  (Read 8116 times)

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin
  • Bike: CRF1000l
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Honda touring screen woes - FREE FIX
« on: July 22, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »
Well since HarryH mentioned the screen was too far away from the riders head in another thread it got me thinking :087:

So last night i whipped off the STD screen again and began fettling with the Honda touring screen to try and find a way of altering its position in relation to my riding position.

I began by removing the 2 x allen headed screws from the panel just above the indicator mount thinking i would then be able to take off the panel with indicator attached to get at the screen mounting brackets........WRONG !!!

but....

when the 2 x allen screws were out completely it became obvious that with a bit of 'wiggling' the screen around in an upward motion it actually lifts the bracket out of a slot, this gave me an idea :082: :156:

With the 4 screws removed (2 x above each indicator) the screen with brackets attached can be positioned back in its slots but moved around to other positions which allowed me to alter the angle so it isn't sitting as 'upright' as STD and also moves the top edge towards the rider........now all i had to do is figure out how to fix it in this 'leaning back' location as the 4 screws will not now pass through the holes in the brackets :157:

I loosely attached the front screw on each side (the forward screw through each side bracket) which left the screen pivoting by an inch or two in height/angle, i peered into the rearmost screwhole of each side bracket and could see about 3mm of the hole being blocked by the bracket itself so removed the screen and also removed the brackets for further inspection. I noticed there was plenty of room to 'elongate' the hole to become a SLOT which would allow the rear screws to be fitted to clamp the brackets in their new position. Into the garage and with the brackets in a bench vice i used a round file to remove some metal from the rear hole (and even took some off the opposite side of the front holes)

As i was refitting the brackets and screen i also positioned 2 x washers behind the screen itself on the lower rawlplug type screen fixing to increase the angle by another few millimetres.

I measured before and after my handywork from a point on my vanity case (topbox :164:) to the top edge of the screen and the difference was 50mm :020:

I took a few pics along the way but still wasn't sure if i had found the Holy Grail or not but abreif test ride at about 9pm last night gave me hope :002:

I left home at 6.30am and met a few mates at Preston for a ride of approx 260 miles taking in Kirkstone pass, Hartside, Alston, Middleton on teesdale, brough, sedburgh, Devil's bridge, Caton, Trough of Bowland etc and got back about 1.30pm with a satisfied smile on my face........ it works :031:

I do however realise it won't be right for everyone as we are all different (I'm 5'8" for example) but i think it is well worth giving it a try as you have nothing to lose and there is no visible evidence of any alterations being carried out.

It also allows you to tighten the screws above the indicators with the screen in any position between the two extremes of movement giving some adjustability for personal preferences.

There is lots more room to extend the 'slot' further than i did as well so you could get even more of an angle of lean if you so wished but for now I'm happy with where mine is and therefore i don't plan on extending any further.

If I've missed any details or you want other pictures just ask :821:

Ian

A few pics taken along the way

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
Re: Honda touring screen woes - FREE FIX
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 07:45:36 PM »
Very interesting, thanks.
Nice day out you've had too, some great roads!
IanM

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »
We're getting there. It's annoying that if they had made the bracket slightly bigger at the bottom and added a couple of extra holes the whole screen would have become adjustable for tilt.

I've done a more expansive write up on my original thread but I too added some spacers to the bottom of the screen only I went a bit further. Had to use slighty longer bolts so they don't quite match the top ones but I'll keep my eyes out for a better match in the future.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:21:15 PM »
Harry, i recently bought a bag of bigger but similar screws in stainless steel for my TDM discs after being given a link to screwfix

I just popped on to their site to copy this link for you in the 'socket head' section

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/bzp-socket-screws/cat840550;jsessionid=rG6vQNJZXP1wyq2fhcZvDqVGQSJvpvBJ64V0r5Xd0vqTCQ2NhZxx!954911084

you will need to find out the M? thread size before buying as i'm away in Scotland all week but i have a feeling you'll need M4/M5 x 25mm as you could always shorten a couple for the upper screen bolts if you want all 4 heads being a match for each other :821:

Hope that helps matey

Ian
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:26:13 PM by scotsy »

Offline peace

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X~RED
  • City / Town: JayBee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:42:38 AM »
good job Scotsy now at least we know what to do...thanks for the tips...  :020:
~Never Ever Give Up~

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »
It's M5 bolts you need

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
Roughly doctored a pic of the bracket with the white portions showing where to remove the metal from

Offline Vincegrader

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
Hi Scotsy
I just posted the same problem, just found your solution, fantastic idea. I tried leaning forward with it in its current position and it seemed much improved.
Cant wait to get the round file at it.
Many thanks
Vince