in: Buckr
B My Red Tourer (9)

Views: 169
Posted by: iec
in: iec

Views: 124
Posted by: The dogs
in: The dogs

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2 days, 320 miles – what a brilliant bike!  (Read 5185 times)

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
2 days, 320 miles – what a brilliant bike!
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:58:50 PM »

Sorry guys, you’re about to be subjected to a new owner being really rather happy about 2 days of Crosstourer ownership.

Here’s the bike in Pidcock’s showroom, ready for collection:

And in the background is my old GS, looking unloved and unwanted, although it has been a brilliant bike for 2.5 years and 20,000 miles.

As you can see, it was raining, which is not great with a new and unfamiliar bike and brand new tyres, but hey, that’s life.  After coming home to fit the Givi kit, the rain had stopped but the roads were pretty filthy for my first trip out into the Peak District and lunch at a favourite haunt, the Woodbine Café in Hope:

And on the way home, I called at the local bike hot spot, Matlock Bath.  Although at weekends there are hundreds of bikes lining the road, on a Friday afternoon it was pretty quiet:

The key thing I learned yesterday is that the Honda touring screen does indeed buffet your head around at any sort of speed, so last night it came off and the standard screen went on, set in the high position.  No buffeting, but surprisingly noisy.  More work to do in that area to get a quiet and comfortable ride.

Today, I have been up to Scarborough to watch the racing at Oliver’s Mount.   It’s a wonderful circuit and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone in the UK who’s not been.  For me, it’s about 120 miles each way – half of which is motorway/dual carriageway and half of which is twisty A roads.  Between 2500 and 5000 revs on those lovely roads across the Yorkshire Wolds, the Crosstourer absolutely flies.  This is one very rapid motorbike with a lovely upright riding position giving a great view and it’s got brakes and handling to match.  By the time I got there, I was buzzing with enthusiasm and coming home was no different, Honda’s 1200 V4 is so different from the Bavarian twin I have been riding for the last 2½ years – smooth and it revs so freely, even with so few miles on the clock.  I’ve had VFRs in the past, so the character of the V4 was part of the attraction for me, but I am absolutely amazed how good this engine, in fact the whole bike, is. 

The other thing I noticed was how much attention it got at Oliver’s Mount.  People don’t recognise it and were looking carefully to work out what it was, which was really rather nice.  And the metallic red paintwork shimmers nicely in the sunshine and looks stunning.

I am one happy bunny!

IanM

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin
  • Bike: CRF1000l
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Re: 2 days, 320 miles – what a brilliant bike!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:38:36 PM »
Glad you enjoyed your first decent ride Ian

I may have fettled the 'Touring screen dilemma' but need to do a thorough test ride tomorrow (got a 300 miler planned for a 6.30am start) before i start claiming real success.......watch for a new thread tomorrow evening :211:

Ian

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »
Up to 405 miles now after a run out this morning, and I saw another red Crosstourer as it went through Matlock two up - that's the first I have seen on the road.

42.9mpg average so far, which is not great but I expect it to improve as teh engine frees up with some more miles.  What's everyone else getting?
IanM

Offline buzzard

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:39:03 PM »
around 50 mpg

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by buzzard [+]
around 50 mpg
I must have been enjoying the 1200 V4's performance too much!
IanM

Offline Africajim

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 10:29:24 PM »
If I take my time I'm getting around 50mpg/ UK gallon. Giving it a bit of welly it can drink for Scotland!
Well, as I plan to keep my licence I'm happy to tootle along so around the 50mpg!

Enjoy the new bike mate, lookin good.

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »
Love the number plate. :062:
Did you pay extra for that or were you just very lucky

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 11:51:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
Love the number plate. :062:
Did you pay extra for that or were you just very lucky
  Thanks!  The plate was purchased from DVLA - a nice finishing touch, I thought.
IanM

arab-exile