CT & EX 1

Views: 1207
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc
C My Red Tourer (3)

Views: 178
Posted by: iec
in: iec

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Almost a new owed with some questions  (Read 3009 times)

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT
  • City / Town: Fyvie
Almost a new owed with some questions
« on: July 20, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »
Hi
After contemplating a few bikes, and having owned Hondas for more than 40 years, I have been looking for a more comfortable ride that my Blackbird so finally had a Test of a CT last weekend..........and loved it !

No doubt I'm preaching to the converted but that motor, wow !!

Anyway, I wanted to know what the thoughts were on getting the CT in standard dress or the SE Version.

I know it has the extras but wondered if the luggage is worth the money or is after market stuff as good and does it use the mounting brackets for the genuine Honda luggage ?

Just trying to decide whether the extra dosh is worth it, I know there will be aftermarket Crash Bars, luggage, fog lights, etc, but I may need the centre stand and heated grips.

Just wondering what others think ??
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:02:00 PM by russ_fae_fyvie »

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
Re: Almost a new owed with some questions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:13:06 PM »
Hi, and welcome!  I’m not sure that 12 hours and 135 miles of ownership really qualifies me to reply, but…….

I went for the standard bike, and have added Givi racks and boxes.  Givi’s not cheap, but it is good stuff and the Honda kit really is expensive.  Plus, and this is a personal opinion, that Honda top box with the zip is naff.

Centre stand – an extra cost option, but worth it, if only because the bike takes up less room in the garage.  Heated grips – again added by the dealer before delivery, but anyone who rides a bike in the UK without must be mad.  Screens are a whole other story, and you can read people’s opinions yourself.   It’s too early for me to really comment.

As to the engine, well, you’re absolutely right.  I used to be a VFR man and did many happy miles on my 800 until I went over to the dark side 2.5 years ago.  After 20,000 miles on a well known boxer twin, the 1200 V4 really feels smooth and strong.  Bavaria’s best feels somewhat asthmatic in comparison.  Even being fairly gentle with the throttle to run it in, I was never short of power today.  I just loved it.  I’m going to enjoy the new chapter in my VFR ownership.

IanM

Offline jacob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Windsor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 04:22:33 AM »
Hi russ_fae_fyvie and welcome - I went for a standard manual only adding the following Honda parts:
- Heated grips
- Center stand
- Wind deflectors

In my opinion the Honda luggage and bars are not worth the money there is better after market alternatives, if you have a look at the accessories thread you will see a post from me on all the bits I have added and there are photos in my gallery (jacob)

The bike and the engine are brilliant so for me get the machine and then think about adding what you need and want from the growing aftermarket to suit what your intended use will be, the sooner you get a CT the sooner your life will be enriched  :001: :018:
2012 VFR1200X CrossTourer - April 2012 - http://crosstourer.tumblr.com/

Offline peace

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X~RED
  • City / Town: JayBee
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 07:14:15 AM »
Well if u got $$$ and lazy then u can get the SE version but then if u like to customised your bike then u should get the standard bike then slowly build up the bike with this and that on your own preferences and u will feel satisfied after everything done but of coz this will cost you some $$$ as well so far i just order the main stand  n the high touring screen from honda...still waiting for the HnB crashbar which not yet see it....
~Never Ever Give Up~

Offline Africajim

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 08:55:08 AM »
Aye aye min!

Well, being tight I went for the basic model, that gave me plenty of farkling to do to the bike. Mine's looking good now using a heap of Givi parts and heated grips from Dr Bike.

Luggage, I use Givi PLR racks, quick release married to Alpos aluminium boxes for the real tough adventure look.

My bike came from Ecosse in Aberdeen, can't thank Charlie enough for sorting it out through Willie Young mc's here in Elgin.
Hope you enjoy yours, I love mine! See you on the road mate.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin
  • Bike: CRF1000l
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by peace [+]
Well if u got $$$ and lazy then u can get the SE version

I did buy the SE version but mostly because i managed to PX a car and an FA08 Hornet (i was struggling to sell the car for 6 months) and i wanted heated grips, centre stand, luggage etc anyway.

Yes, i 'could' have bought cheaper stuff and bolted the bits on to a STD bike but i think the Honda luggage looks quite nice on the bike and when removed it doesn't neccesitate having bits of scaffolding still attached (or having to be removed)

I leave the unobstrusive topbox (or 'vanity case' as all my mates call it) in place to carry spare gloves, waterproofs etc and just lift off the panniers with a turn of the key and flick of a lever, its looks so neat when they are removed.

After following me around the Highlands for over 2,000 miles my group of mates were p1sstaking about only being able to see my arms from the rear so they started doing the pose of riding a chopper as in the film 'every which way but loose' and constantly singing/humming this tune Every Which Way But Loose - BIKER'S THEME - Steve Dorff

They managed to break into the 'ape hanger' pose at every opportunity during the week up north and and also used the well know phrase "right turn Clyde" whenever it would get a laugh.

The RT1200 rider introduced the 'crossdresser' nickname and then the others latched on that the zippers of the topbox looked familiar and it became known as my 'vanity case'.

As you can see by my new avatar one of the lads used 'photoshop' to construct a picture of their perceived view when following me for the week so now use it as my avatar pic

Some of the holiday pics and report are here from around page 10:- http://www.forum.northukbikers.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=49&start=90

Ian

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
hI Russ,
I think one of the first MCN tests on the CT reported water had leaked into one of the boxes so this quickly dismissed them for me as the Honda dealer here in bankrupt Ireland quoted €2200 euro for the 2 panniers,1 top box and a mounting plate, a total leaking rip off.I think the SE kit in UK comes in at £1900 STG for all  the acc.?. I am still deciding what to do about panniers and after its first big tour with a set of "Buffalo"soft panniers i had from a previous bike i now have lots of marks and scratches on the silver side panels around the rear seat area... not nice. i agree with others here that the Givi scaffolding bars to suit their pannier system ruins the clean lines of the side view of the CT.What I would ideally like is a set of panniers that comes on the BMW r1300s sports tourer- neat plastic rounded boxes that fit tight to the bike, i am exploring this avenue at the moment to see if they can be adapted. Best of luck with your new baby.
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT
  • City / Town: Fyvie
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 06:59:37 PM »
Cheers for all the info guys.

I am now the proud owner of a Black CT !

Went into Ecosse today and put a holding deposit until I get my proper dosh next week. Jim I also spoke to Charlie last week butr with him being away on his hols, Martin did just as good a selling job !!

I am getting the centre stand and heated grips onto a standard bike, I'll have a good look through this forum before deciding on screens and luggage but it seems everyone things the Honda luggage aint worth the money.

So should be picking the bike up over the next week or so and am really looking forward to giving it some miles.

Happy bunny !!

:001: