Random Gallery Image

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Crosstourer DCT opinion\road test  (Read 6253 times)

Offline brucek

• Crosstourer Junior
Crosstourer DCT opinion\road test
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »
Not many road tests on the DCT version, so having ridden the manual and trusting to Honda I bought the DCT.
All i can say is its a truely excellent piece of engineering.
And quite spooky too.
Once you're over the lack of clutch and the instant take off it can only be described as a really great machine.

Just assume its the standard Crosstourer. But its always in the right gear and always ready to just go at the twist of the fingers.
Into bends, out of bends, power on , power off. The gearchange is nearly without feeling. It just happens.
The only signs of activity apart from engine noise is the gear counter (which i have to say becomes almost hypnotic to watch!) and you can hear the mechanism clacking through the motions.

The flappy paddle gear levers do exactly what they say - you can drop up or down as you wish. Same faultless change.
If you drop down the electronics blip the motor for you to meet the rev's needed for smooth changing.

I'm starting to think i'm riding the future of gearboxes here. 
I've still got plenty of manual bikes to ride - but this thing is just excellent if you want all the riding thrill but without cocked up gear changes which we all do sometimes - unless you're perfect!

What else can i say. Its got to be quicker of the line than anything comparable. It can change quicker than i ever can on a regular bike.
In a couple of weeks i'll be out with my mates on their Trumpet 1050 and 1200 adventure bikes. We'll see how that goes.
The only risk is - when they ride it they might not give it back. 

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Re: Crosstourer DCT opinion\road test
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 07:30:58 AM »
Brucek, excellent statement about DCT there :062:
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Red

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Blankenberge
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:22:41 AM »
 :0461:
It's indeed a wonderful system, and I love it to.
Only here in Belgium we have 30 km zones then the dct wants to go to third gear but it would be better in second I think  :034:

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 05:41:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Red [+]
Only here in Belgium we have 30 km zones then the dct wants to go to third gear but it would be better in second I think  :034:

Flick the auto OFF with your right finger and select the gear you want it to STAY IN with your left finger

easy peasy, lemon squeezy (put that into google transate Ha Ha)

Ian

Offline Red

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]

Flick the auto OFF with your right finger and select the gear you want it to STAY IN with your left finger

Ian
Ok Ian, I'll will do that when my amputated fingertip is not as sensible as it is now. Its just that little spot of my index finger that is still sensible. :164:

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:28:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]

Ian
Ok Ian, I'll will do that when my amputated fingertip is not as sensible as it is now. Its just that little spot of my index finger that is still sensible. :164:

Have i missed something somewhere?

If you really have had the fingertip amputated i apologise for my seemingly bad taste joke  :431:

If you have had an op then i think 'sensible' should be replaced by 'sensitive'  :305:

Offline Red

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 09:42:57 PM »
it's ok Ian
Don't be sorry, :063: I have had an accident at work where I lost 2 fingertips an a half fingertip.
It's going well now but still a bit sensitive, but my friends wont let me order drinks  :003: 

Offline Hitty

• Crosstourer Member
  • Shazam!
  • Bike: Cross Tourer
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 06:26:41 PM »
I've just ordered the DCT version...I'll be using the CT for plenty of commuting into London and after many years of constant clutch/gear changing at countless traffic lights and junctions, the auto version is going to make a massive difference.

I know there are some die-hards out there who may say you don't get the full experience if you're not changing gear but each to their own...put it this way, the cars I buy these days are all automatic...given Honda have brought out a truly superb DCT system, why not have the same on two wheels?

The future is bright...the future is Red  :001:

Hitty

arab-exile