Timmelsjoch, Austria

Views: 99
Posted by: andyrob
in: andyrob
Honda Goldwing Wheelie

Views: 306
Posted by: Farway
in: Farway

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honda aren't telling the truth  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Honda aren't telling the truth
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »
I can here officially announce that Honda are telling porkies about the fuel capacity of our beloved Crosstourers.

It's written everywhere that the fuel capacity is 21.5 litres. Now, I knew I was cutting it fine when the "milage left" countdown had been showing zero miles for at least 5 miles before I rolled into the petrol station with the engine still running. 

Had a look at the pump after filling it to the brim and what did I see 21.6 litres  :046:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Honda aren't telling the truth
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:55:56 AM »
Now there's a challenge. Can anyone beat that?

But beware: (I don't want to spoil the joy, but...)
As the fuel dispenser product manager and technical trainer for a petrol pump manufacturer I know that the pumps are all calibrated within certain tolerances. Legally it is +/- 0.5%, but 0.25% is usually the accepted tolerance. At 20 litres, this mean you could get between 19.95 and 20.05 litres - ideally, it should be 20.00 but is usually betwween 19.95 and 20.00.

And if the pump is temperature compensated to 15°C - and the fuel was below 15°C - you got less than indicated on the display anyway.

So basically, your 21.6 litres, probably wasn't.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:16:25 PM by Doc »

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »
Awwwh !!  There's always some smart arse out there wanting to spoil the fun  :010: :010:

Looking on the plus side though according to the theory I could have got MORE than 21.6 litres as well  :150:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
Awwwh !!  There's always some smart arse out there wanting to spoil the fun  :010: :010:

Looking on the plus side though according to the theory I could have got MORE than 21.6 litres as well  :150:

Sorry, but did you really believe you we getting what you were paying for  :261:

21.6 litres sounds good to me - well done Honda! (Head buried deep in the sand  :016:

Offline redbaron

• Crosstourer Member
  • V 4 ever!
  • Bike: VFR1200X RED
  • City / Town: west-vlaanderen
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:59:21 AM »
In my X-tourer, i did 22.49L!
And i have pics if you want!  :018:

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:02:04 PM »
Nah, i wouldn't take that serious to the CENTILITER ... I understand it that you got a 21.5L capazity WITHOUT filling it up to the upper edge just before overspilling. Furthermore, a fuel tank always has an expansion "chamber" on top so the tank seems to be full before it really is ;-) ... that space is needed for the expansion of fuel if bike left at the sun after filling up the tank.
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Africajim

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 10:23:44 PM »
There is a space allowed at the top of the tank, this is to provide "ullage", an expansion compartment, failing to allow for ullage, a sunny day will see possibly half a litre running from the overflow pipe from the tank.
Mr Honda will have allowed for this, hence the collar on the tank top which causes the filler gun to trip off.
Sorry guys, I've squeezed just over 20l into mine, but being Scottish wouldn't want to lose fuel due to expansion! LOL!

Offline LP

• Crosstourer Pro
  • V4 forever and 2 days
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leuven
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »
Honda is also not correct in the average fuell consumption on the dash
if you calcualte ( liters devided by km's ) your result is more economic then the honda figure on the dash .
off toppic on highway 130km/h very eco bike ;)

greetings
LP

arab-exile