Looks nice in the sun

Views: 310
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob
IMG 1048

Views: 136
Posted by: andyrob
in: andyrob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Muscle heavier than Fat  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Muscle heavier than Fat
« on: July 03, 2012, 10:59:47 AM »
The CT is a little on the lardy side  yet I can honestly say I never notice it until I try to put it on the centre stand. By golly it needs a darn good heave to get it up there  :005:

Now we all know Muscle is heavier than the fat you may find on other machinery but where is all the weight  :084:. I've been looking high and low but just can't find it.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Re: Muscle heavier than Fat
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »
They were struggling to get one OFF the centre stand last week at the dealers because the floor was polished, every time they pushed it forward the stand just slid along the floor :015:

It took 3 people to get it down in the end :087:

note to self:  don't use centre stand on shiny surfaces, especially if ALONE :028:

Ian

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:43:51 PM »
Once upon a time, some randon deckhand insisted that I put my GS on its centrestand on a ferry, and I had exactly the same problem getting it off the stand on a slippery floor.  Never again, lesson learned, sidestand every time now.
IanM

Offline Red

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Blankenberge
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:27:54 PM »

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Ducati Diavel CR
  • City / Town: Roswell
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:51:32 AM »
Yep these are big bikes and my eXplorer is top heavy and so warrants slight concentration when giving it the heave-ho onto the centre-stand at the filling station too.

This video isn't bad at all, thanks for posting Red. But my personal preference is to lift the frame at a comfortable point parallel with your leg and also lift upwards slightly with the bar that is on full inner lock. Or put it this way, would you find it easier to lift a heavy bag full of bricks parallel to your body or at arms length, which is the equivalent of lifting at the rear rack point? The key is definitely to 'lift' rather than pull, whilst having a secure footing and flat-level stand, as the guy in the video says.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Bedford
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:17:24 AM »
The Crosstourer is the first bike I have ever owned with a centre stand option. As I've never had one I chose not to have one fitted and save some bucks. Can anyone explain to me why some members feel the need for a centre stand. Is it because you've always had one so you feel you'd miss it. I get the point that the bike takes up less room in the garage while on the stand but is it the opposite to my feelings ( never had one, won't miss it)  as to (always had one and feel I need one.)  :002:

Offline VaraGirona

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Girona
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:30:48 AM »
Hi Strider
I fitted it on my Varadero (and now on the CT)
I use it because sometimes is better to park the bike in the center stand instead of the side stand. For example when you travel with side panniers and park the bike in a city, you need less space to do it (or maybe the bike don't upset so much people or police).
And if you use in the city everyday is better the centre stand, because it's more difficult for other people/scooter riders to scrape off your bike (and believe me I know what I'm talking about  :232:)
And of course, the bike is more impressive parked on the center stand  :169:
It doesn’t matter the fast you go, but the far you arrive ...

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Strider [+]
T Can anyone explain to me why some members feel the need for a centre stand. Is it because you've always had one so you feel you'd miss it. I get the point that the bike takes up less room in the garage while on the stand but is it the opposite to my feelings ( never had one, won't miss it)  as to (always had one and feel I need one.)  :002:

Park in a narrow private drive at work and the cars that also park there can't get past the bike if it's on the side stand. Simples.

Don't get me wrong I'm more than capable of getting it on and off the centre stand but my original question was really "why is the CT so heavy"The centre stand comment was that you only notice the weight when using the stand.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:00:05 AM by Harry H »

arab-exile