P 20150611 174901

Views: 152
Posted by: tomw
in: tomw
Eifel 20130519 5 Forum

Views: 372
Posted by: CrossALL
in: CrossALL

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A little report i made  (Read 2050 times)

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
A little report i made
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:37:54 PM »
I've just done a little report on another forum i frequent www.forum.northukbikers.co.uk here is a copy of it

After about 2 years of tracking the new VFR1200XD and test riding the supposed 'class leading' Triumph explorer 1200 as well i eventually found a dealer who had a DCT on demo.

I drive a CVT transmission car which is super smooth so i wasn't afraid of giving this new fangled transmission a go, in fact i was hoping it was good because i have a really painfull 1st finger joint on my left hand which is getting worse as i get older. I can't pull the clutch with it but the other 3 fingers are fine so i manage OK

The VFR 1200 V4 engine has been retuned from the sport tourers 170bhp to more like 127bhp (?) but it has 126Nm of torque which is more suitable for this style of bike

The std gearbox bike is outselling the DCT (dual clutch transmission) model by approx 2 to 1, perhaps due to the DCT being 'new technology' or perhaps due to the extra cost for it but in my opinion it is probably because the dealers aren't putting them on the demo fleets. I eventually found A DCT to ride via Blackpool Honda (part of the northwest honda group).

I rode the std bike from blackpool to Lancaster (go anywhere you want  to get there on it said the salesperson Laura....so i did) great bike, absolutely GOBs of torque but me and my pillion often banged helmets when changing gear (me and my son Mathew hadn't gone 2's up for years  so both a bit rusty)

Impressed...yes......... but anxious to get on the long awaited DCT demo bike at the Lancaster branch

I got some brief directions to some winding country lanes and we were off

Turned right at the lights in SPORT mode (auto has S and D modes) and gently opened the throttle, heard a bit of a 'click' from the transmission and a quick check of the gear indicator shows the next gear is already being utilsed, i never felt a thing and only heard the click because we were going slow with the visor up. Within a few seconds we were doing about 70mph in 4th gear and hadn't fely ANY of them being swopped, only the gear indicator knew.

Turned off roundabout onto the lane and opened it up.........bleeding hell it pulls!!!

brakes are good, handles much better than i thought it would, can't believe how it is going up and down the gears without affecting the stabilty but it just does. I try to override the gear selection on the approach to a corner or two then realise i can't do it as good as the electrics on the DCT do it so i decided to just leave it in SPORT for now and just concentrate on road positioning, braking and throttle and suddenly I'm back making good progress again with no dramas. Mathew gets off so that i can go solo for a few minutes and i come back with a proper grin on my face. "do you like it" Mathew says......"its AWESOME" was my reply

I traded in my 08 Hornet and a 08 C2 VTR car (northwest honda is also part of a motor car dealership) so ordered the DCT with the SE pack (includes luggage etc)

i picked the bike up at 5pm friday and rode it home in pouring rain to get the sat-nav bracket etc fitted ready for the scotland trip on saturday morning

As well as 2 modes in auto there is a fully MANUAL mode which can be engaged AT ANY TIME by tapping a switch beneath the front brake lever, the gears are then selected by 2 x buttons an the left hand switchgear marked + and -

It is so easy to do it as well because you keep the throttle pinned when going up through the gears (in whichever mode) so no more helmet bashing or jerking about during gearchanges

Don't think of it as a 'twist and go' though because the gear is actually driving all of the time, it doesn't slip till the drivetrain catches up with the engine, like on a moped/scooter

The engine is the star of the show for me though, pulls smoothly from just over tickover, pulls like a train when asked and turns into a growling beastie when provoked. The growling is coming from the air intake system under the tank as the V4 gulps air by the bucketload

Does over 43mpg at a steady 90mph and around 50mpg at a steady 60mph so not bad for a 280kg bike

here's my bike covered in crap at the spittal of glenshee on thursday with about 1750 miles on the clock

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Bedford
Re: A little report i made
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:34:25 AM »
Hi scotsy, sounds like you had a blast. Nice write up buddy. I'm loving my CT so much, one of the best bikes I ever bought. Enjoy Scotland. I wish I could say I did, but I've never been there. It is on my to do list though. I love riding in Europe best and DCT makes it soooooo gooooood.  :149:

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:23:58 AM »
I reckon you like the bike!
Thanks for the report.
IanM

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »
That rear wheel is gonna take some cleaning :745:

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
That rear wheel is gonna take some cleaning :745:

They Honda dealers rang earlier and have had to wash it to find the engine for todays service :005:

Harry, as the owner of probably the noisiest Tuono on earth have you any plans to change the CT exhaust (I'm staying all std)

Note: My ears are still bleeding from being on a couple of AF1 Tuono Hoons with HarryH

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Ducati Diavel CR
  • City / Town: Roswell
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 01:58:06 AM »
Looks great, I like the top box, is it a Honda item? Your bike looks dirtier than mine did after a couple of thousand miles! Enjoy.
 :152:

Offline peace

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X~RED
  • City / Town: JayBee
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 03:01:26 PM »
Yes Captain that should be the top box from Honda n i also quite like it after seeing this...
~Never Ever Give Up~