Capel Curig site

Views: 204
Posted by: Hartley
in: Hartley
IMG 0779

Views: 71
Posted by: biker1300
in: biker1300

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: HONESTY & OBJECTIVITY, IF POSSIBLE  (Read 7496 times)

Offline AIR4CE1

• Crosstourer Member
HONESTY & OBJECTIVITY, IF POSSIBLE
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:16:40 PM »
In my Province of South Africa, the Triumph Explorer outsells the Honda Crosstourer 8 : 1.

From my observations, potential buyers test ride both bikes, and then go back and buy the Triumph.

Is there any Honda Crosstourer owner, with the hindsight of having owned and ridden the Crosstourer for a couple of thousand kilometres, who regrets not giving the Triumph a longer second look ?

In retrospect, do we miss the :
- standard centre stand,
- the cruise-control,
- the instant aggression of the 3cyl motor,
- ease of cleaning simple alloy wheels,
- analog rev counter,
- 30kg less weight ? 

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Bedford
Re: HONESTY & OBJECTIVITY, IF POSSIBLE
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:11:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by AIR4CE1 [+]
8 : 1.

Is there any Honda Crosstourer owner, with the hindsight of having owned and ridden the Crosstourer for a couple of thousand kilometres, who regrets not giving the Triumph a longer second look ? 

"YOU MUST BE JOKING". Why would I regret buying this fantastic bike. I think you should pose this question on the Triumph forum. You cant hide the truth matey, Crosstourer, quality executive build. Triumph, unfinished, crap quality, and looks ugly.    :110:  :110:  :110:

Offline Red

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Blankenberge
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:51:35 PM »
    In my Province of South Africa, the Triumph Explorer outsells the Honda Crosstourer 8 : 1.

From my observations, potential buyers test ride both bikes, and then go back and buy the Triumph.

In retrospect, do we miss the :
    - standard centre stand,
    - the cruise-control,
    - the instant aggression of the 3cyl motor,
    - ease of cleaning simple alloy wheels,
    - analog rev counter,
    - 30kg less weight ? 

I didn't ride a Triumph so I will not say he's good or bad  :008:
    but:
    -centre stand: your right
    -cruise-control: I don't think that should be on a motorcycle
    -The instant aggression of the 3 cyl motor: pull the throttle on the ct and look what happens: lift of
    -wheels I like ones with spokes
    -30 kg less???? I have no problem with that![/list]
    « Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:56:51 PM by Red »

Offline Africajim

• Crosstourer Member
    « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:34:15 PM »
    Due to poor aftersales from Triumph following me buying a brand new Tiger 800XC last yr which was so bad, I will NEVER buy a Triumph again. Buy British? Nae fear!
    I also believe the Honda is a better bike but that's just my biased opinion.

Offline Black Bob

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: VFR800X (Black)
    « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »

Why did you buy the Crosstourer then?

Offline Strats

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Modbury
    « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:52:04 PM »
    Honestly, I would NEVER choose anything over a great Jap bike... especially a Honda.

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Ducati Diavel CR
    • City / Town: Roswell
    « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 02:35:41 AM »
    Not very balanced for you AIR4CE1, but then again I don't suppose you expected that did you?

The CT was one of three Adv bikes (the other being the Tenere) that genuinely interested me. I'm a Brit, but live in the US. Honda decided not to bring it into the states and I test rode the Tenere and did like it's lack of low down grunt, so having had five Triumph's (25 other bikes too, inc. six Honda's and six BMW's) with zero build or reliability issues - a better record than all marques I've owned inc BMW and Honda - that made my decision very simple.

My eXplorer is beautifully finished, feels built to last and hasn't missed a beat. It's fun, fast and comfortable. It does have some USP's not available from any other manufacturer within the genre, like the useful cruise control and 10k (minor) service intervals. And it has decent standard equipment like the center stand, computer, abs and TC that are all cost extras with BMW for instance.

The eXplorers wheels are maintenance free, unlike spokes, and like the Honda it's proving to be very reliable. The CT has softer suspension, so if you cruise rather than use it as a comfy sports bike that could be useful. But the flip-side is more weight and understeer when pushing it on more spirited rides. So it's a preference thing.

The engines are both absolutely top drawer and best in Adv-Tourer class. If auto appeals, then Honda's DCT is their USP and reputedly works very well. The Triumph is selling better which bodes well for aftermarket accessories and again there are far more available via Triumph themselves than Honda are offering too.

In my view it's very much a win-win situation and a good choice whichever you go for. I've ridden a lot of bikes (at least 150+), but I'm very taken with the eXplorer so far. Here's a vid of me enjoying it on my first full day with the bike.

http://youtu.be/qPZDhkMzz8E

Oh and for the record, if you asked me which I would have bought had Honda brought it to the states, then the honest answer is I don't know without a demo ride first. But my gut feeling is I would have still have bought the Triumph. I still come back to this site though, as the people are generally friendly and I'm still interested in all leading Adv-Touring bikes.
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:42:47 AM by Captain Scarlet »

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CT Manual Red
    « Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »
    Another nay sayer here, i test rode the Explorer and found it brutishly powerful and good to ride but after reading all the tests and reports on it, i still am surprised that after all the years and miles of testing the Explorer, it still was launched with glitches like patchy cruise control operation and over sensitive throttle control, seems like they threw extras at it and got the headline BHP figure so they could boast best in class. Also from the articles here(in my part of the globe) they are of course MOST British biased and i feel its probably the same in S. Africa.Honda on the other hand is smug that they have more years and more money spent on testing than anyone and quietly produces a winning product that is discovered later on through ownership.
    So other than the centre stand  omission the CT wins for me! :745: 
    Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Recent Topics

arab-exile