Zum MGrappa3

Views: 185
Posted by: Austria1
in: Austria1
Old bike

Views: 228
Posted by: Red
in: Red

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cruise control for Crosstourer  (Read 17869 times)

Offline KALIMEROJOE

• Crosstourer Junior
Cruise control for Crosstourer
« on: June 20, 2012, 04:14:06 PM »
Hi,
I need help.
I have a problem with my right arm and need to move my right hand ofently.
So I need to find a cruise control for my crosstourer.
I have seen different models : 'gocruise throttle control', 'brakeaway cruise control'.
The second one seems to be better and very easy to use but I don't know if one model is adapted for crosstourer.
Should someone give me advices ?
Lot of thanks.
Kalimérojoe

Online scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Re: Cruise control for Crosstourer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »
I have fitted one to my TDM900 that i have had for years and used on several different bikes, it is an ugly mechanical type of thing that works on 'friction' to hold the throttle setting where you set it (so NOT an exact speed controller) i may move it onto the CT on friday when i get the new bike home because i too have problems with my right wrist/forearm. Currently typing with a wrist support fitted and seeing doctor on friday morning for diagnosis and plan of treatment.

With this device i can let go of the RH grip and rest the arm on my knee or fuel tank but i obviously only do this when it is safe to do so, eg. on long straight roads/motorways at a cruising speed. Sometimes i just use it to maintain the throttle position so i can stretch out my fingers etc.

Please note that with all of these devices they make it quite clear that you use it at your own risk, this is due to some past users having unfortunate accidents when using a CC device. I think if common sense prevails and you knock it off BEFORE reaching a potentially dodgy situation they are IMHO perfectly safe to use (i adjust the friction so that i can still easily close the throttle before flicking the friction device off).

This is the one i have on the TDM (found on google images after searching for 'motorcycle cruise control')

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/14/138/25434/ITEM/Sound-Off-Recreational-Universal-Vista-Cruise-Control.aspx

One of the reasons i am buying the CT is that i much prefer the wider straighter handlebar and sat-upright riding position these days, i think it must be an 'age' thing :034:

I had test rode the Tiger Explorer after being attracted by its "electronic cruise control" but the action of 'setting' it is IMHO DANGEROUS so i walked away

Ian

Offline KALIMEROJOE

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 02:45:54 PM »
Hi Ian,
Thanks for advices.
I'm going to order this device and post to give you a feedback asap.
Have a nice day.
Eric

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
I am sure interested in some Cruise control too, thanks anybody for any advice.
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline joga

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:27:32 AM »
Hi there,

I have used the breakaway cruise control unit over the years on two bikes, a VFR800 and a Suzuki Meanstreak, and would recommend it.  The unit requires carefull installation and adjustment, so do it patiently, and once sotred it works very well.  The throttle is easy to operate to modulate the speed, and the break lever/manual release is just great.  The quality of manufacture is excellent, and my unit came directly from breakaway, very good service.  I intend to install one on my bike when purchased.  :152:

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 06:15:10 AM »
Keep us updated with progress when fitted to the CT, it is certainly an option I would have chosen if it was available from Honda.

Agree with Scotsy about the Explorer, it was a complete cluster to try and use and out of about 10 attempts only managed to get it working once, when I gave the bike back to the dealer they recommended reaching over with your left hand to activate the cc because the switch was too far away to operate with your right hand  :005:, extremely dangerous is about the only way I could describe Triumph's effort.

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:56:43 AM »
I`m interested too. Which one is the most suitable? http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

Perhaps, it would be a good idea if we would pursue a group  buy? Just a thought...

I used to have an electronic CC on my ST1100, from MCcruise in Australia, worked like a charm but haven`t seen them installed since...
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline SPW999

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Get Out There & Ride!
  • Bike: VFR1200X-Silver
  • City / Town: Singleton
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 10:27:01 AM »
Not a "FULL BLOWN" Cruise Control - BUT - It Works for me ! and one hell of a lot cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXFORD-CRUISE-CONTROL-ESSENTIAL-ANTI-FATIGUE-THROTTLE-ASSIST-MOTORBIKE-OF378-/251017303112

When you want to relax your grip on the throttle, you just rest the heel of your palm on the plate.  No muscle tension, in hand, wrist, or arm.

:305:  S.
Keep it on the Black Stuff or Dirt - BUT - Rubber Side Down.  Else it hurts!