in: Red
IMAG0688

Views: 587
Posted by: RoadRash
in: RoadRash

Views: 337
Posted by: IanM
in: IanM

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I survived!  (Read 13639 times)

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
I survived!
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »
Hi Guys,
last Saturday was the first day of my Alps tour. We had been on the road for about 2 hours and, near Zell am Mosel, I went round a corner on a wide road and was confronted by a car overtaking another car right in front of me. He was driving into the corner parrallel with the car he was overtaking. sh#t. I managed to swerve a little to the right but hit the front of the car with my left side. I didn't fall off though (weight of the CT helped). I pulled up slowly, but as my left foot was painful and couldn't put the sidestand down, I gently eased the bike to the ground on it's right side. I moved away from the bike and realised I was then in some pain.

Straight to hospital, operation on left leg - bone broken just below left knee crushed foot, but nothing broken. While I was waiting for the ambulance, I rang my wife, told her about the accident, but that I was OK, so she wouldn't get a call from a stranger.

This was my first accident in 33 years of riding - it was close - thankfully, not braking and moving the bike to the right saved my life.

The driver came to visit me in hospital and apologized for his stupidity - I was just glad to be alive. He accepted 100% fault for the accident and I reminded him of what an idiot he was. Like I say, I'm still here.

Got home today, and now I have 4 months of rehabilitation in front of me. sh#t it hurts. A metal plate and several screws will now always be with me, as well as the memory of a car bearing down on me head-to-head, thankfully I wasn't in my car - or we would all be dead.

The bike suffered minor damaged, plastic bits, footpeg ripped off, and the right side has some scratches. She will be fit long before me. Oh, and with DCT you can stop without a functional left foot, keeping control with the bike still in gear, without messing around with a clutch.

I don't think I will be riding again this year, so the the bike will be having a rest.

Why are there so many idiots who call themselves drivers on our roads???

Guys, I'm still here :152:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 05:59:24 PM by Doc »

Offline matchip

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Selangor
Re: I survived!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
Glad to hear that you're OK. Get well soon...

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:48:47 PM »
 :005: Bloody hell Doc, Glad you're ok, sort of anyway. :047: But it could have been alot worse !
Us bikers have enough to look out for without twats driving on the wrong side of the road.
Get well soon matey  :305:

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »
What the... I hope you get well soon man. I'm glad to know you're still ok. Like you said it could have been worse, thankfully it wasn't.

I have never had any major accidents that hurt me, but I once hit a pedestrian crossing over in a highway... I didn't need to wonder why would anyone do such a stupid move, because the person turned out to be both physically and mentally disabled (truly so, its not sarcasm here). Bad experiences get carried on with the riders (for me it did / does) sometimes, I truly hope you will get over it mentally as well as physically.

I know of no words in English to express myself here, so I ll go with a Turkish "Geçmiş olsun", something along the lines of "its gone with as little harm as possible, hope you get over it".
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Huncadrew

• Crosstourer Member
I survived!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:06:45 PM »
Hi Doc, good to hear you are both repairable and still able to post, get well soon

Offline Red

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Blankenberge
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 01:29:47 AM »
Hey Doc
I hope you get well soon!!!!
But now you have to have patients and have a good rehabilitation!

Offline Bernie

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT, 2012, silver
I survived!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
Hi Doc
Awful thing that happened to you !
But I am happy to hear, you survived.

Now I am hoping that you'll have a full and quick recovery and rehabilitation.
Just to show you, that you may look forward:
Back in 2006 I was a full month in a wheelchair in the hospital, had my tenth operation on April 2012 (again knee) and now I am enjoying riding my CT.

Again: all my best wishes !
Bernie

Offline VaraGirona

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Girona
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »
Hi mate
Glad to hear you are OK, Doc.
Now be patient, and make a good rehabilitation.
And as you say, danger (and Idiot drivers) are out there ...

Get well soon,
It doesn’t matter the fast you go, but the far you arrive ...