Pirelli Scorpion Trail on CT

Views: 245
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob
IMG 1053

Views: 119
Posted by: andyrob
in: andyrob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Reise 'ride on' Motorrad - Test  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reise 'ride on' Motorrad - Test
« on: June 03, 2012, 02:53:42 PM »
Well, no surprises in the latest German test. This magazine (04/20129) placed the test bikes as folows:

1. R1200GS
2. Tiger Explorer
3. Stelvio 1200 8V NTX
4. Crosstourer DCT
5. XT1200Z

Apparently, the CT has an awesome engine, DCT is amazing, great handling, great brakes, very comfortable, good luggage, good 3 year warranty and service intervals.

They complained about:

* buffeting from the touring screen, and can only be adjusted with tools
 * hard to read rev counter
 * on-board computer not good enough
 * fuel consumption too high (test 7.1 l/100)
 * you can't ride it off-road
 * GS rides better on bad surfaces
 * too heavy
 * no under-engine bash-plate
 * it could never leave the tarmac
 * too few accessories and electronics as standard

It doesn't matter what anyone makes - in Germany, the GS will always win.  :232:

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Re: Reise 'ride on' Motorrad - Test
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 05:04:41 PM »
Well, sometimes i really dont know what to believe in: what my eyes actually see or what "pros" see...

RogieWA just posted some good videos, and all this "no no sir, you cant ride on anything but tarmac" thing is getting old. Am I daydreaming or wasn't that some offroad camping video, with his friend riding a GS...

Riders here have been posting 5.5-6.5 L/100km figures.

Hard to read rev counter... seriously.

I think the only problem with this bike is the screen. The rest is just stuff that would make or break the bike for maybe a few riders, if any at all.

But yea, pointless to argue. GS wins anyway  :232: (on those few kms where the bike actually works of course  :164: )
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]

It doesn't matter what anyone makes - in Germany, the GS will always win.  :232:
... i think it really gets laughable what the german magazines writes nowadays  :004: ... me wondering too about the "testers" ... do they ever get off the tarmac at all  :006: you know what ... they probably are of the kind of soft guys who only would go on guided off road tours ... sooo unlikely as from BMW there aren't any guided tours from Honda  :018: ...

yes your right there Eltar, our real testers are the folks here  :062:

Btw, just heard some issues and discussion on BMW forum about oil consumption of the GS ... anybody's guess how much engine oil per 1000km is "normal" for a GS to burn? ... jeeezzz i have 9500km on the clock now and don't even think of checking engine oil level on my CT  :150:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:26:31 PM by ojo »
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 06:19:18 PM »
The fuel consumption for the GS is about 5.5-6.5 l/100 km - the same as the CT.

The oil consumption from my mates ST1150 thingy is about 2 l/1000 km.  :005:  that's a lot.

I haven't used a drop of oil yet either. I've never had a Honda that used oil  :002:

Offline Hitty

• Crosstourer Member
  • Shazam!
  • Bike: Cross Tourer
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
Hmmm, do we sense a bit of xenophobia creeping in here??   :034:

We all know the GS has been market leader for good reason...it's a solid bike and proved itself over the years.

But here's where my head's at, guys.  Remember when Sony used to be THE electronics brand for TV's, stereos, Walkman's?

Then Panasonic comes along and creates a stir with better product...and now more recently just look at Samsung!!

It takes time but strong brands with strong products CAN become the leaders...and I do feel that Honda's CT is going to make a massive difference.  Especially with more bikers doing the sensible thing and coming off the back-breaking 1 litre super sports and coming over to the up-rights!!

Hitty

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »
 :0461: :460:

arab-exile