20130428 164602

Views: 293
Posted by: regis
in: Regis
IMG 1108

Views: 286
Posted by: andyrob
in: andyrob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 6 allorund/offroad bikes shootout!  (Read 8126 times)

Offline Dan

• Crosstourer Junior
6 allorund/offroad bikes shootout!
« on: May 25, 2012, 04:24:44 PM »
Just read the april issue of the swedish BIKE magazine. They did a test riding from Sweden to France. The tested bikes were Honda Crosstourer, Yamaha Tenere, Kawasaki Versys 1000, BMW R1200GS, KTM 990, Moto Guzzi stelvio.

First place came the BMW "because its not really bad at anything"
Second place came the Versys "it did well in all the tests moments"
Third place came the Tenere "fullgrown, robust with a great attitude"
No fourth place.
Shared fifth place the Honda and the KTM (see below)
sixth place came the Moto Guzzi.

"....crosstourer with a great engine, but lacks a wider abillity. It is not a GS killer".
Some on the plus sides: ..."wonderfull engine with a fun character, almost no vibrations, nimble gearbox..."
And the minuses: "...the riding position differs alot from the other bikes, with the arms high and the feet in a forward position. During longer rides it feels tough on the body, a majority of the test rides found the position unnatural...."The front suspension is too soft, during hard brakes the front fork will reach the bottom and disturbing the ABS, making the braking distance unnecessarily long. To avoid this you must  use the rear brake as well....the wind shield is together with the KTM the worst in the test...."And so on.

For a guy that only has a 30 minutes test ride to refer to, and spent half a years sallery on a bike hes still waiting for, this kind of reading is disencouraging.

I have a lower back issue, I didn´t feel anything during the test ride, but im a bit worried now that I read this article, espessialy the part about the riding position.

On the other hand, i have my own private opinion about car and bike journalists  :230:

translated to the best of my knowledge.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:41:29 PM by Dan »

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Re: 6 allorund/offroad bikes shootout!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dan [+]
Just read the april issue of the swedish BIKE magazine. They did a test riding from Sweden to France. The tested bikes were Honda Crosstourer, Yamaha Tenere, Kawasaki Versys 1000, BMW R1200GS, KTM 990, Moto Guzzi stelvio.

First place came the BMW "because its not really bad at anything"
Second place came the Versys "it did well in all the tests moments"
Third place came the Tenere "fullgrown, robust with a great attitude"
No fourth place.
Shared fifth place the Honda and the KTM (see below)
sixth place came the Moto Guzzi.

"....crosstourer with a great engine, but lacks a wider abillity. It is not a GS killer".
Some on the plus sides: ..."wonderfull engine with a fun character, almost no vibrations, nimble gearbox..."
And the minuses: "...the riding position differs alot from the other bikes, with the arms high and the feet in a forward position. During longer rides it feels tough on the body, a majority of the test rides found the position unnatural...."The front suspension is too soft, during hard brakes the front fork will reach the bottom and disturbing the ABS, making the braking distance unnecessarily long. To avoid this you must  use the rear brake as well....the wind shield is together with the KTM the worst in the test...."And so on.

For a guy that only has a 30 minutes test ride to refer to, and spent half a years sallery on a bike hes still waiting for, this kind of reading is disencouraging.

I have a lower back issue, I didn´t feel anything during the test ride, but im a bit worried now that I read this article, espessialy the part about the riding position.

On the other hand, i have my own private opinion about car and bike journalists  :230:

translated to the best of my knowledge.

1st one to fire back (at the magazine, mind you):

Regarding the sitting position: you have had a test-ride, did YOU feel the sitting position was unnatural - uncomfortable - awkward? You have to answer to that.

Suspension: Are the settings on suspension set in stone? I think the word "adjustment" has been around for some centuries at least.

Use of rear brakes? Unheard of :112:

Wind shield: Probably everyone here is aware of the issue here. We have ways to cope with that right?

The thing is: Everything mentioned here are minor problems imho, with the exception of sitting position. That is to be individually decided.

What noone can argue against is: The engine is a killer. Do we buy a bike for its windshield or what? Everything can be fixed on a bike tbh; its just the engine you will just have to live with. And if we are talking about engine, I dont think ANY comparison needs to be made :164:

With no offense to anyone (both the magazine's writers and owners of the bike I am going to mention next): I would probably not take any report that puts Versys 1000 above CT any seriously. I love Kawa, but Versys 1000 vs CT is a no-brainer comparison for me.

Also, you have ordered a bike with DCT iirc. add that into the equation and see what happens  :001: No1 spot: VFR1200XD and the rest share the 6th spot  :152:

I understand it can give you the chills. Have faith in the users of the forum who have at least some idea about the bike they have been using for some time now. I believe many will agree with me on the points I have made.

Or you can check the BIG smiles on the pics posted by riders here  :038:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:37:04 AM by Eltar »
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Red

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Blankenberge
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »
 :0461:  :460:

Offline Dan

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
Thanks! I really know better than to get p#ssed off by some journalists. I have thoroughly scanned the net before making this decision. It actually stood between the Versys and this one.

Regarding the riding position, it was very comfy, although i found my self sitting so close to the tank that my balls were pressed against it  :034: To be honest that could be related to two reasons: eighter I'm a bit short (176 cm) or i was just simply a bit stressed off by riding such a big bike for the first time, and therefore tried to sit as close to the handlebar as possible. As i mentioned previously, the biggest bike i have ever ridden so far was my BMW800 and I was a bit nervous.

The problem is that there aren't many serious reviews of the Crosstourer on the youtube or google in English, so I have to trust my gut feeling and the kind people of this and similar forums. I guess that the issue here is that I allowed myself to be influenced by the mofo press. :230:

Anyway, i belive that it might be of general interest to hear what the Swedish press are writing about the bike
Once again, thanks, I needed to hear this  :001:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:10:13 PM by Dan »

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »
Dan, only one opinion counts, yours!

Eltar is 100% correct - there is no way the CT can come below 1st place against the rivals in this test. The sitting position is the best I have ever had on a bike, and even that is adjustable if you really want. The standard windshield is pants - but the rest of the bike - with DCT as well - is perfect.

Journalists get freebies on a regular basis - even the free use of bikes - so who can believe anything they write. They often write what they are paid to write - you are the only one with a definite free choice, a free mind. Use it well.

Doc
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:03:16 PM by Doc »

Offline Huncadrew

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 12:00:30 AM »
Hi Dan I agree with Eltar and Doc and they are much more eloquent than me, this bike is truly awesome, i have done a 200+ mile trip with no issues on riding position and although I didn't try all the bikes on this list I tried the BMW 1200 the s10 the triumph explorer and none suited me as well as this one I am truly grinning from ear to ear and I certainly think you have made the right decision

Offline Strats

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Modbury
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 12:42:29 AM »
I gotta agree with the boys Dan... Any test that puts the "Pig Ugly" Versys before the CT, or for that matter any Kwaka before a Honda is just laughable...
On the serious side, I'm 47 years old and have been riding riding something with 2 wheels and motor for about 42 of them, this thing is without a doubt the best bike I have ever owned bar none.  I, like you have a buggered back, I find the seating position great, the windscreen, well I don't really have a problem with that either, the only reason I have the touring screen is that it came with the package I purchased, and as for capabilities, the first weekend we had the bike, we took her fully loaded 2 up along some extremely below average 4WD tracks without any problem whatsoever.  I don't regret my purchase at all, and I'm confident you won't either.

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:50:27 AM »
Well Dan, I really am glad that hearing/reading what I wrote made you feel better. That was the whole point of it.

No motorbike can be perfect, else everyone would be using the exact same bike all over the world. But the thing is: CT is a damn good bike. Its more like a DAAAAAMMMMNNN GOOOOOODD bike. I dont have the slightest doubt you will have the same "from ear to ear" grin that Hundacrew just mentioned once you get your bike and start  :305: .
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8