In the Eifel

Views: 258
Posted by: luckyluke
in: Luckyluke
small deflector polycarbonate

Views: 646
Posted by: zolive38
in: zolive38

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Final Drive  (Read 1617 times)

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • White very fast CT
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
Final Drive
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:11:02 AM »
I test road the CT last Tuesday and was very impressed with it, my only two concerns were the small screen which was a waste of plastic but I'm sure the touring screen will sort out that problem. My other concern was the Final Drive and its reliability and also how often is the oil changed,my concern comes from my current GSA which has an appalling record on Final Drive failures. Has anybody got the service schedule? or have they heard of any failure's. :020:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:43:08 AM by grahew »

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Final Drive
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 11:58:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by grahew [+]
I test road the CT last Tuesday and was very impressed with it, my only two concerns were the small screen which was a waste of plastic but I'm sure the touring screen will sort out that problem. My other concern was the Final Drive and its reliability and also how often is the oil changed in it,my concern comes from my current GSA which has an appalling record on Final Drive failures. Has anybody got the service schedule? or have they heard of any failure's. :020:

If you buy a GS, statistically speaking, the final drive will fail, eventually.  :003:

When the BMW dealer near to my German dealer (Honda & Triumph) closed, he took on the BMW mechanic, and got all the service contracts for the local Police BMW's etc. Many of the BMW owners now go to him because they know the mechanic is BMW trained. Most of the repair work in his workshop is on BMW's, and it is expensive, but the BMW owners don't care - rich and stupid I guess. My dealer swears by Honda reliabilty, and when sonething does go wrong, you don't have to sell an organ to get it repaired!

The final drive on the VFR1200F has not yet developed a problem after 2 years, and it's the same one fitted to the Crosstourer - so it's looking good at the moment.   :002:

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • White very fast CT
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »
Thanks for the positive reply Doc it is really my last concern I intent to have a further test ride next week and i am currently 90% sure i will purchase the faster white one :821:

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »
Yes,   and I assume that if it handles the power of the  sport bike then there will be plenty in reserve  on the CT....... Re the GS  ,the final drive on mine went at 20000m , cost £450!!!!... There is a saying over here that if you cant afford to extend the warranty (£300+  p.a)  then dont even think about it ........Now having a DCT I could not even consider going back ,I'm afraid I was taken in by the whole image :157: :157:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister B [+]
Yes,   and I assume that if it handles the power of the  sport bike then there will be plenty in reserve  on the CT....... Re the GS  ,the final drive on mine went at 20000m , cost £450!!!!... There is a saying over here that if you cant afford to extend the warranty (£300+  p.a)  then dont even think about it ........Now having a DCT I could not even consider going back ,I'm afraid I was taken in by the whole image :157: :157:

MisterB, you were not the first, and you will not be the last. It happened to me in 1993 with the Triumph.  :157: :157: :157: