The CT comes home

Views: 318
Posted by: PaulB
in: PaulB
park

Views: 242
Posted by: russ_fae_fyvie
in: russ_fae_fy­vie

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honda Crosstourer should I buy one  (Read 9603 times)

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • White very fast CT
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
Honda Crosstourer should I buy one
« on: May 04, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »
Hello all I've had a BMW R1200GSA for the passed two years and it is due for change,the GSA has not been that reliable and when out of Warranty will become a liability in my opinion. can I ask has any body moved from a GSA to the new Crosstourer and if so has it been the right move and if so why and any negatives also please.

I will be road testing one next week and may also try a Triumph Explorer just to compare

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Honda Crosstourer should I buy one
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
Hi Grahew,
I have heard from most GS owners that the bike has reliability problems - you won't get that with the Honda or the Triumph.

Should you buy a Crosstourer?

My advice is to test ride the Explorer, then the Crosstourer, then the Crosstourer DCT. When you have done that we can start talking about all the accessories you can fit to your new Crosstourer.  :002:

I don't know your preferences, so test the bikes and choose the one you like best - I honestly believe it will be the DCT Crosstourer if you are a mainly tarmac rider - which is what I chose after riding them both. For me, the Crosstourer is better in almost all respects.

Looking forward to your reply after your rides. Have fun and be safe.

Doc   :031:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:43:47 PM by Doc »

Offline Ralentino Vossi

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 12:39:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by grahew [+]
Hello all I've had a BMW R1200GSA for the passed two years and it is due for change,the GSA has not been that reliable and when out of Warranty will become a liability in my opinion. can I ask has any body moved from a GSA to the new Crosstourer and if so has it been the right move and if so why and any negatives also please.

I will be road testing one next week and may also try a Triumph Explorer just to compare

Hi grahew
I have had 2 gsa's in last 4 years a 08 and a 10 dohc model and like you had concerns about keeping the bike out of warranty
I only got my Crosstourer Dct on Wed so a bit early to give a true comparison but the engine is so much smoother and the balance and handling of the bike is very good although i will need to tweek my suspension a fraction as the Honda feels a lot firmer over the bumpy back roads round here but it will hopefully improve as the bike loosens up, also you will notice a big difference with buffeting from the next to useless screen on the Honda ,I have ordered the Honda higher screen which should solve that issue,

The pegs definately feel a bit higher on the Honda than the Gsa but still should be a better position than most other bikes.
It will take a while to get used to filling up a bit more often as well but overall I am very happy with the Crosstourer and that V4 engine is a peach,It really does have the Blackbird surge of linear power

I also rode the Triumph Explorer but for me the Honda just feels a more finished machine and I feel Honda have described it accurately by saying the Crosstourer is not really competing against the GS its more of a fast adventure sports tourer.
I think you will be impressed after your test ride and the Honda build quality should be as good as it gets
oh remember to bring your cheque book! hope this helps :031: :305:

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 08:45:12 AM »
 :0461: with every thing that has been said .......My GS was a cause for concern,final drive went at 19K , fuel gauge ,etc....Test ride both,but remember they are not GS's ,they both have their own  exciting identity  .. As  Doc says do try to get a ride on a DCT version ,its magic!!!! :062:

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 09:09:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mister B [+]
....DCT version ,its magic!!!! :062:
.... oh yes MAGIC ...  :028: exactly
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by ojo [+]

Agreed...

...simply MAGIC.

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 02:40:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]

Agreed...

...simply MAGIC.

I'm 99% sure that Honda engineers have a far more scientific description for DCT  :001:
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Eltar [+]
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]

Agreed...

...simply MAGIC.

I'm 99% sure that Honda engineers have a far more scientific description for DCT  :001:

You may be right, but rumour has it that, when they had finished the development, they all stepped back and looked at the Crosstourer, and in 'scientific synchronisation' they all said...Magic!

arab-exile