IMGP3410

Views: 248
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob
Fuel

Views: 404
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Who came from a Varadero to a CT? (or still has a Vara)  (Read 2063 times)

Offline AussieKiwi

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer
Who came from a Varadero to a CT? (or still has a Vara)
« on: May 03, 2012, 02:05:10 AM »
Hi,

I am lucky enough to still have a 2008 Vara ABS, and I took it for a ride the other day for the first time since receiving my CT.

First thing I was aware was the Vara felt so gutless! (Gutless is a term we use here for having no power). It's amazing just how much more usable power and torque the CT has.

I noticed the Vara felt like a much bigger bike than the CT, so kudos to Honda for making a bike that weights pretty much the same if not slightly more than the Vara feel so nimble.

The chain drive funnily enough felt great - almost smoother - but that's probably because I am not fully used to the idiosyncrasies of the shaft drive on the CT (without paralever)

I also took the Vara on some rough roads and noted the front suspension - while firm - is completely solid and silent in it's absorption of short / harsh bumps. I wish my CT was like that and I am going to make it my mission to get my CT's front end respond that way.

One other interesting thing I was aware was the handling, the Vara feels like it want's to fall into corners, which is no doubt a factor of having more weight up high compared to the CT, but I much prefer the CT's handling characterisitcs.

So - I hope that these observations are interesting for previous Vara owners.

On the whole the CT is a better bike than the Vara for my type of riding, so I am a happpy camper.

Oh and one last thing - the looks - the CT is far far far nicer looking than the Vara.

:002:

Post your thoughts on the differences here if you've had both bikes!
2012 VFR1200X Cross Tourer
2016 CRF1000 Africa Twin
2008 ABS XL1000V Varadero
1997 XRV 750 Africa Twin

Offline Freaky

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: XL1000V Varadero
  • City / Town: Singapore
Re: Who came from a Varadero to a CT? (or still has a Vara)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:17:55 AM »
Hi AussieKiwi, i cant comment much on much accept for the looks as i havent got my CT yet.
My opinion, Vara looks better than CT. Due to its bulk, it look tough, like a muscular beast on steroids!!! A car that i would compare to is the Lambo.. Ugly at first look but the more you look, it seems to look good.
To me CT have an average looking. It is amasing how Honda make it as slim as it is while the weight is wee bit more than Vara.
Hmmmm.... Im still wondering when i will own the CT. Reviews from owners are dam awesome, mich differ from speculations and journalist reviews...... Im sure Honda will have few tweaks on the 2nd production and make it much more greater to own a CT....

:821:

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Slim -yes- and so easy to handle  ,all the other areas are just as our friends have said... I'm not sure if you have seen one in the fleash but this is one stylish   motor cycle  in all its colours  ( though white is best!!!!)  to such an extent that even my partner -who is not impressed by these things - had a sharp intake of breath when she first saw it a couple of days ago.....  I hope you will soon see it on the road--in your hands --then you will ,i'm sure, be converted!! :305: :062:

Offline LP

• Crosstourer Pro
  • V4 forever and 2 days
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leuven
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 07:21:04 AM »
after 4 varadero's  ............happy VFR1200X rider ;)

greetings
LP

Offline Bernie

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT, 2012, silver
Who came from a Varadero to a CT? (or still has a Vara)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 10:21:21 AM »
After 95 k kms with a Varadero and now 9000 with the CT I am absolutely happy with the CT.
I like the easier handling due to the lower point of gravity and the power and torque it has.

Well .... The seat and feeling of the chain drive were great with the Vara, but I never missed it, although we had really great times, fun and tours from the Mediterranean Sea up to Sweden. And the light was better when riding in the night.

I find the CT more agile, powerful (as mentioned) and clearly easier to maneuver. Here I have to state that I am 176 cm high, had five knee operations and a problem with my lumbar discs. 

So I did not regret the change for one single minute.

Bernie

Offline VaraGirona

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Girona
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 11:34:11 AM »
After 106.000km with the Varadero, I'm very happy with my CT (9.800km).
The CT is better in torque, power, point of gravity, shaft drive ... and it looks smaller !
Things to improve?
- The seat for the pillion; I make lots of km with my wife, and she loved the Vara seat.
- Light; it was better on the Vara ( 2 light bulbs are better than one, that's not a secret )
- Rear mud/water protection; with the Vara I always arrived with clean jacket/back, but with the CT ...
- Screen protection (now I've got a MRA X-creen)

But don't doubt; CT it's a fantastic bike, a powerful bike  :169:
It doesn’t matter the fast you go, but the far you arrive ...

Offline Africajim

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 11:23:33 PM »
Agree with most said, I still have my VA9 Varadero and love taking it out for a run, the torque is amazing! I also like the weather protection of the screen and bulbous fairing. I also agree the CT is a nicer looking bike, sharp lines!
The CT is a fine bike, speed and power unrivalled! But I still love my Vara and also my RD04 Africa Twin!
They all have their allure, their soul. I love them all for what they are! My bikes!

arab-exile