Wheel wash - Wheeny Creek

Views: 223
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob
IMG 1391

Views: 169
Posted by: operatorius.lt
in: operatorius.lt

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Back to Reality  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Back to Reality
« on: April 25, 2012, 04:36:10 PM »
It would appear that the Japanese are actually only human, well, at Honda anyway. I have now had my very first delivery fault with a Honda, but it did take 18 bikes to happen – 12 for me, 4 for my wife and 2 for my son. I wonder if it's something that should be checked during the pre-delivery inspection (steering head bearings). I know that Honda will sort the problem out and prevent it from happening again, it’s just a bit annoying, and a small tarnish on Honda’s very good reputation.

It could have been worse I suppose. I bought a Triumph Trophy 3 in 1993, and it was back at the dealers after 1 hour – with an oil leak where a cable when into a casing. You should have seen the smoke cloud I was leaving behind me as the oil fell onto the exhaust and burnt off! She went on to give me 18,000 trouble-free miles in 18 months, and never missed a beat, just the beginning was bad - oh yeah, and the rusting 'stainless' disks and bodywork screws. I didn’t buy another Triumph. After 4 Hondas, I tried Triumph, then went straight back to Honda where I’ve been ever since.

The Crosstourer is a fantastic bike to ride, and I love her. I love the DCT, the DCT, the DCT, the sitting position, the dash, the awesome V4 engine, the brakes, the low fuel consumption, the silver colour, and even the mirrors are good. I don’t like not riding it, or thinking about cleaning the spokes on those lovely wheels. And it’s the first bike I’ve had with a hand brake!

After the Crosstourer, my 1998 VFR800i comes in as a close second. The loose steering head bearing is not a disaster, but it is annoying. I don’t have the paint defects under the radiator cover, so that’s a plus. I am hoping that the DCT and the shaft drive prove to be reliable. The VFR1200F has had no problems to date, so that is a good sign.

Honda, I forgive you already. I am looking forward to this summer with my Crosstourer, and I have many trips planned – now where is that Sun.

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
Re: Back to Reality
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »
 :152: :152: :152: :460:  my views also,, though I still have to wait a week to savour the DCT ..Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder  ..you are so right ,it does look good besides the Triumph.. And thanks for the stearing bearing  posting I have forwarned my dealer to give it the once over :211: :305: :305:

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Bedford
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
Do you think the loose head bearing would show up straight away out of the crate or does it show up after you've ridden the bike for a few miles. Does it make sense to ride the bike first to let the head bearings bed in a bit before making any adjustment. Just my thoughts, what do you all think.

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »
Good question .....we shall see and I will let you know over the next few weeks..

Offline VaraGirona

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Girona
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mister B [+]
Good question .....we shall see and I will let you know over the next few weeks..

Yes,
We have to know if all of us will have the same "problem" ...
It doesn’t matter the fast you go, but the far you arrive ...