Brocon2

Views: 278
Posted by: Austria1
in: Austria1
Sauerland 3

Views: 279
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Poor Surface / Paint finish - I have seen two bikes with this - does yours?  (Read 4613 times)

Offline AussieKiwi

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer
Hi,

On my recent first long (800km) ride my CT, I took a great sunrise shot of my bike.

While I was doing so, I noticed that the side of the radiator that you see under the side panels was rough / uneven. On closer inspection it seems as if the paint was applied when the part was oily.

When I was talking to my dealer yesterday about the loose head bearing issue, I mentioned this issue too and we checked the demonstrator bike they have in store. Neither of us could beleive it but this bike had EXACTLY the same marks / defects as mine! So this means that the part is being marked during manufacture.

I am so surprised Honda is letting bikes go out like this.  My dealer is following up with Honda NZ and we will see what they say.

Is your bike tarnished in this way?

2012 VFR1200X Cross Tourer
2016 CRF1000 Africa Twin
2008 ABS XL1000V Varadero
1997 XRV 750 Africa Twin

Offline Freaky

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: XL1000V Varadero
  • City / Town: Singapore
Wow! This is bad man... If this can past through quality check..... What more in perfection could there be?
It would be really bad if the engine dept have the same type of quality check..... Scary.....

:821:

Offline AussieKiwi

• Crosstourer Member
Hi,

How come noone else has looked at their bikes yet?

I am super curious about this one.

Check your CTs please
2016 CRF1000 Africa Twin
1997 XRV 750 Africa Twin

Offline jacob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Windsor
*Originally Posted by AussieKiwi [+]
While I was doing so, I noticed that the side of the radiator that you see under the side panels was rough / uneven. On closer inspection it seems as if the paint was applied when the part was oily.

When I was talking to my dealer yesterday about the loose head bearing issue, I mentioned this issue too and we checked the demonstrator bike they have in store. Neither of us could beleive it but this bike had EXACTLY the same marks / defects as mine! So this means that the part is being marked during manufacture.

YES :232: - mine has the same markings as shown in your photo this would confirm a manufacturing fault - will also get my dealer to check their demo bike and ask them what they plan to do about it - Jacob
2012 VFR1200X CrossTourer - April 2012 - http://crosstourer.tumblr.com/

Offline AussieKiwi

• Crosstourer Member
*Originally Posted by jacob [+]
*Originally Posted by AussieKiwi [+]

YES :232: - mine has the same markings as shown in your photo this would confirm a manufacturing fault - will also get my dealer to check their demo bike and ask them what they plan to do about it - Jacob

As I suspected. This is REALLY surprising and dissapointing from Honda. A small thing but such a visible place - totally not acceptable. My dealer has forwarded my photo to Honda NZ for comment.
2016 CRF1000 Africa Twin
1997 XRV 750 Africa Twin

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Ducati Diavel CR
  • City / Town: Roswell
As I don't own a CT I feel bad saying this and I never feel the need to use bad language in forums, but that is simply sh#t isn't it? I'm really surprised. It looks like the result of a cheap spray can job that I attempted on a helmet thirty years ago! Actually I might have done slightly better!
 :012: 

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
The "failing" paint job indeed is same on my bike. It's actually got the very same pattern as on your picture there.

This is on the radiator side walls, out of what materials are radiators made of? Cast aluminium? I doubt that this comes from overspraying when the part was oily. I rather think it's a pattern from the manufacturing tool that just gives it's "marks". So the paint sure will stay just fine and perfect for years to come.

You got to have a close look and you'd never see it as clear with your eyes only as on the digital picture there. And the radiator is mostly covered with plastics anyway. So I would not be that picky about this. Check that on other bikes / radiators - it will probably be the same. I had a look on my good old AT and there seems to be similar patterns too.

For me - not an issue for a quality claim.
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay

arab-exile